Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Canon EOS Rebel XS and I need better lens to take pictures of indoor sports. I go to most of my brother's basketball games to take pictures and the quality of my shots has disappointed me.

In order to keep my pictures sharp I had to use an exposure of 1/200. With my lens highest f-stop (5.6) and ISO 1600 the images were still quite dark and noisy.

I used a denoising program for the first time on one of the shots and this is how it came out after some curves adjustment:

I know not all gyms have such bad lighting, but I'd like a versatile lens to solve that. I'm still learning the ropes, but I do believe better lens would help a lot on the image quality. Trigger won't be pulled for a couple months as I'm low on cash, but I'd like to know what to aim for. I don't mind 3rd party kits, as long as they hold some sort of warranty and have good quality.

Ideally I wouldn't like to spend more than U$300, but this can change according to what benefits I'd receive from paying more.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I would look for a 70-200 f/2.8. Canon, Tamron, Sigma, all make this type of lens. You won't find any for what your budget is, so if that's all you can invest, then save your pennies.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by procpuarie
View Post

I disagree with the above. 70mm is too long for many shots. 18-200 if you can afford it, 55-200 if not. You may need to do some lens switching.

The lenses you mention are too slow for indoor sports. A 70-200/2.8 is ideal for this. If he buys an 18-200 or 55-200, he'll end up with the same problem and waste his money.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
I know a guy who I think uses something a bit bigger then 70, but I'm not sure. It kinda looks like a 200-400. This is for indoor sports. He also has one of those big flashes too.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
I have heard that the 85 f/1.8 is a popular lens. When I shot for a school paper, I used the 70-200, and in the gym, I was rarely longer than 100mm, which is close enough to 85 to not matter much. Also, gives you 1.3 stops more light, and is in (or real close to) your budget. No zoom though, if that's a deal breaker

Quote:

Originally Posted by procpuarie
View Post

I disagree with the above. 70mm is too long for many shots. 18-200 if you can afford it, 55-200 if not. You may need to do some lens switching.

Both of which would fail hard in indoor sports. They would have the exact performance of his current lens

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by computeruler
View Post

I know a guy who I think uses something a bit bigger then 70, but I'm not sure. It kinda looks like a 200-400. This is for indoor sports. He also has one of those big flashes too.

Wow, was it a school gym? When I was shooting in my old schools gym, 200mm was a up close to the face shot. 400mm would be like a nose or something

His indoors must have been bigger than mine of course

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zoom doesn't really matter, I can crop the images and what not, provided shots are close enough. I guess I would loose some versatility, but the only two things I take pictures of are my computer (kit lens are fine for that) and indoor sports, so I guess it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I'm not really sure what prime lens are, can someone elaborate?

The 55mm on my kit lens gives a pretty nice zoom, so I don't need anything much larger than that. Gyms around here aren't too big so I'm usually right next to the court.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
any prime would do the trick if u know approx range u usually use

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
I would suggest getting an 50mm or 85mm prime for indoor sports like that. Personally, I prefer the larger zoom on players, shows more expression, etc. If you can spare $400, I would get this: http://www.adorama.com/CA8518AFU.html

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolonger
View Post

I'm not really sure what prime lens are, can someone elaborate?

A lens with a single focal length, or a lens that doesn't zoom.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolonger
View Post

I have a Canon EOS Rebel XS and I need better lens to take pictures of indoor sports. I go to most of my brother's basketball games to take pictures and the quality of my shots has disappointed me.

In order to keep my pictures sharp I had to use an exposure of 1/200. With my lens highest f-stop (5.6) and ISO 1600 the images were still quite dark and noisy.

I used a denoising program for the first time on one of the shots and this is how it came out after some curves adjustment:

I know not all gyms have such bad lighting, but I'd like a versatile lens to solve that. I'm still learning the ropes, but I do believe better lens would help a lot on the image quality. Trigger won't be pulled for a couple months as I'm low on cash, but I'd like to know what to aim for. I don't mind 3rd party kits, as long as they hold some sort of warranty and have good quality.

Ideally I wouldn't like to spend more than U$300, but this can change according to what benefits I'd receive from paying more.

Considering this shot was @ 55mm, I would strongly suggest against a 50mm as your shot seems wide. 85mm 1.8 would be a minimum imo. If the budget goes that far, the 70-200 2.8 would be great as you won't be able to get shots of the other net with the 85mm 1.8

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure what zoom I used on that picture, I'll do some testing today with 55mm to see if I need 85mm or 50mm. On that picture I guess I should've cropped the other net and resized later, would make a better shot.

I'm leaning more towards the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 right now as it's cheaper.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolonger View Post
I'm not sure what zoom I used on that picture, I'll do some testing today with 55mm to see if I need 85mm or 50mm. On that picture I guess I should've cropped the other net and resized later, would make a better shot.

I'm leaning more towards the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 right now as it's cheaper.

Quote:
Camera Brand: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS
Date Taken: 2008:01:09 01:20:33
Exposure Time: 1/160 sec.
Aperture Value: 5.00 EV (f/5.7)
ISO Speed Rating: 1600
Flash Fired: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode.
Metering Mode: Pattern
Exposure Program: Manual
Focal Length: 55.0 mm
You shot it at 55mm. I would go with the 85mm if you want some better close ups. I agree with Danylu that the shot seems a little wide.

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*scratches head* Where'd you get that? Lol

Going out for my brother's game, will come back with improved shots hopefully. With a little cropping I believe I'll be able to get shots better than that.

Note to self: set the correct date on the camera.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Quote:

Going out for my brother's game, will come back with improved shots hopefully. With a little cropping I believe I'll be able to get shots better than that.

From the image properties.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Quote:

EXIF data, you camera records and embeds it for every shot.

An 85/1.8 would work very well for indoor sports, but you will be limited as to how far away you could be from the court. But it's a nice lens and everyone should have a prime anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
If your a little worried about the 85's price tag, you could look used. KEH.com is a good place, so is ebay

1 - 20 of 46 Posts