Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What makes a MAC better than a PC for audio enthusiasts? does the MAC use some sort of special hardware/software? is there no better hardware/software for the PC? is there really a difference between using a MAC or a PC for audio stuffs?

just something thats been on my mind. thanks in advance for the replys

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
What exactly do you mean? Are you referring to audio play back or editing?

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Garage Band, although there are better programs on the PC.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Its not better for audiophiles but they are good for audio creation. It's easy to use Garageband to create music from scratch or edit music recorded into. And right now I'm blanking on the apps name, but with the Final Cut Pro suite there is an app that I use to record voice overs, edit them and send straight to the timeline in final cut.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Nothing really, it's a preference thing either way, some people prefer mac software, others windows/linux.

You can get the same grade gear for a mac Big-O so I wouldn't consider what you said valid.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Fruity Loops is a pretty neat program for the PC, but GarageBand is just basically a very simplistic way to create music.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The OS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiG O View Post
You're actually going to be LIMITED hardware-wise by a Mac.
I think there are a lot of audio professionals who'd love to argue that one with you.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
There are many technical aspects which make a MAC better than a PC. For one, lets start with the kernel. Two, how about SMP? Or any kind of multi processing for that matter. Oh, how about the disgusting registry key system on windows? I think DLL Hell says it all.

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by opty165
View Post

does OSX really make it better? and why do big companies prefer MAC's for audio/video editing?

im kinda having a debate with a friend about this lol. sort of a MAC vs PC thing

OSX just has a lot of programs that are geared towards multimedia and are easy to use.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BiG O
View Post

OSX just has a lot of programs that are geared towards multimedia and are easy to use.

that does seem to be very true about OSX. however there are people who seem to think that PC's cant even touch what MAC's can do with audio/video. now i dont think thats true....

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

View Post

does OSX really make it better? and why do big companies prefer MAC's for audio/video editing?

im kinda having a debate with a friend about this lol. sort of a MAC vs PC thing

Big companies prefer Macs for video editing, not usually audio (though they may use it for audio if they already have the macs anyway so they don't have to get Windows licenses, just to save costs). Final Cut pro is simply the best video editing software out there.

For audio editing, the best software is actually Cakewalk Sonar - for Windows. Check out some screenshots to get an idea of what it can do.

Another thing to keep in mind - the most important thing when doing audio editing - even more important than the software - is the quality of your recording source (sound card, mic, etc). If you want to get a professional sound card on a mac, you have to buy the Mac Pro because no others have PCI slots. But virtually all PCs have PCI slots.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gr1mo
View Post

There are many technical aspects which make a MAC better than a PC. For one, lets start with the kernel. Two, how about SMP? Or any kind of multi processing for that matter. Oh, how about the disgusting registry key system on windows? I think DLL Hell says it all.

You must be part of Apple's new marketing scheme where they sent out robots to spread nonsensical generic anti-Windows garbage across the forums...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:

View Post

that does seem to be very true about OSX. however there are people who seem to think that PC's cant even touch what MAC's can do with audio/video. now i dont think thats true....

I would bet they are stuck in the old days. Back in the days of Win95 and Win98 PCs did not have the multimedia software/OS capabilities that the Mac's of that time had.

But in today's market, I believe you can match the abilities of any Mac but for half the price. The software and the Windows OS has changed big time in the last decade.

But Old School is Old School and changing the software that someone has used for a decade or better is hard to do. So with performance being equal today, then the issue is prefernce and that prefernce will be to using what you know, meaning the guys that have been using the software for years will stay on a mac and newbies will most likely lean toward PC for price.

·
ZFS
4,084 Posts
I like fruityloops on PC.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

You must be part of Apple's new marketing scheme where they sent out robots to spread nonsensical generic anti-Windows garbage across the forums...

Prove me wrong. If you cant, Your just the usual winanderthal. Tell my why you think windows doesn't have a poor way of storing application and system setting etc. Why does windows all ways get BSODS when you install a bad device driver? Why do they become corrupt and break certain vital files? Why is the windows kernel better than the almighty MachBSD kernel and unix layers?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts