Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
you don't want your voltages anywhere but right on the rated voltages. (ie: 11.7v on the 12v rail is BAD). I think its around +-5% fluctuation that is tolerable. A quality psu is usually rated 100 - 150w lower than what a no-name would ship the same psu for. ocz modstream's are the best psu's on the market IMO. the stock psu is usually pretty sad, unless you're buying a case/psu from a good manufacturer (you'll have better luck with powmax than raidmax <- not known for psu's). It's usually better to get a nice case (regardless whether or not it has a psu or of what grade) and buy a separate psu. <- this will cost more.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
The only reason I went with the OCZ Powerstream 520w as opposed to antec or enermax is cuz you can adjust the rails with a screwdriver so their dead on accurate. just stick to name brands, you'll get what you pay for. and ouroboros1827, the Powerstreams are OCZ's highest end psu but modstreams are great too.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Do you want to know what makes the rails stable as in the parts that keep it stable???

If so its the PSUs Capacitors the larger capacitors should keep a supply of power to keep things steady [kinda like a power conditioner] .The PSU also need descent heatsinks for the FETs that way they will be more accurate the cooler they are... also a quality transformer will help...

Other than that PFC and other little doodads that i dont know about are in there also to make things work well

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, that was what i was after... .so hypothetically, you could make, say, my psu **** stable by breaking in, voiding the warranty, and putting small heatsinks on the FETs, no?

btw, would a line conditioner help? like a UPS that has line conditioning/cleaning? would that make it more stable?

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

yea, that was what i was after... .so hypothetically, you could make, say, my psu **** stable by breaking in, voiding the warranty, and putting small heatsinks on the FETs, no?

btw, would a line conditioner help? like a UPS that has line conditioning/cleaning? would that make it more stable?

Yeah adding a ups would keep the power steady... a battery is like a huge Capacitor anyways

we use them at my hotel to clean the power up for our amps and they work nice, they eliminate the buzz you get sometimes due to bad AC

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i wanna get one soon, i just needa find a good one cheap... i know those two words rarely come together in the same sentence...could anyone inform me of a good one to get?
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

Yeah adding a ups would keep the power steady... a battery is like a huge Capacitor anyways

we use them at my hotel to clean the power up for our amps and they work nice, they eliminate the buzz you get sometimes due to bad AC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts