Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys ... I bought a kit with processor, motherboard and memory recently (r5 3600x; b450m steel legend; 8gb 3000mhz spectrix d60g) and now I want to buy another 8 gb of ram, however, I'm afraid to make a mistake, because in my case, I overclocked that memory up to 3333mhz cl 16 (3000mhz cl 16-20-20 stock). I think it could go much further, but for some reason a recent bios limited the voltage of the rams to 1.4v.

my question is:

To make my life easier, I don't want to buy the same 3000mhz stick and risk not being able to overclock it to 3333 too, so I would like to know if I buy the same ram model (adata spectrix d60g), but this time 3200 mhz stock, make it possible for me to have a better margin of error and be able to overclock this from 3200 to 3333 easier

I know it is very difficult to answer this, because the manufacturer may have used the same 3000mhz chip and "overclocked" it and sold it as 3200, however any help is welcome.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Are you familiar with flashing motherboard BIOS? Why not try downgrading your BIOS to a version that doesn't restrict the voltage limit for memory? Either that or buy faster RAM because you can always downclock to run slower than its stock speed too.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
With RAM you always want matched pairs, so you'd need either need to order another 8GB kit of what you have (I'm assuming it's 2x4GB)

OR

Just get a new kit of what you really want and sell off the old one.
2x8GB kits of DDR4 3600MHz are not that expensive and should work just fine once you enable XMP in BIOS since you have a Ryzen 3000 chip.

Something like this sounds like it would fit the bill for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i cant buy a 16 kit ram by now :( hardware insanely increase the price in brazil because of the coronavirus
If I buy a 8gb 3200 mhz stick to match with the another one that I already have, it will run at 3000mhz because of the slower ram or i'll be able to overclock them both? I know that using two identical modules is recommended but unfortunately.........
I just wanna know if the values that I put in bios will work for both sticks (even having different speeds) or i'll be unable to overclock (like just decrease the speed of both to 3000).

·
OG AMD
8,801 Posts
i cant buy a 16 kit ram by now :( hardware insanely increase the price in brazil because of the coronavirus
If I buy a 8gb 3200 mhz stick to match with the another one that I already have, it will run at 3000mhz because of the slower ram or i'll be able to overclock them both? I know that using two identical modules is recommended but unfortunately.........
I just wanna know if the values that I put in bios will work for both sticks (even having different speeds) or i'll be unable to overclock (like just decrease the speed of both to 3000).
If you get the same IC's yes. So make sure the timings are the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you get the same IC's yes. So make sure the timings are the same.
thank you so much!!!
finally someone just give me a answer for what i was asking and don't tell me to buy others sticks or "it's a overclock, so... that's unpredictable"

·
Avid Something-or-Other
105 Posts
thank you so much!!!
finally someone just give me a answer for what i was asking and don't tell me to buy others sticks or "it's a overclock, so... that's unpredictable"
Do you know what memory chips your current sticks are using? Using a SPD reader like Thaiphoon Burner can help with this (assuming SPD was programmed correctly), or you can pull off the heatsinks (moderate to high risk of damaging the sticks if you don't know what you're doing; especially if the heatsink is thermal epoxied to ICs). Once you know the memory chips being used, it should be much easier to find compatible memory sticks.

3000 MHz 16-20-20 is crazy loose timings wise and could be a LOT of different memory ICs. That being said, buying a 3200 MHz kit with equal or better timings at same voltage "should" make the process of matching your currently overclocked timings easier. I would make sure to install your weaker memory stick in the A2 slot and the stronger memory stick in the B2 slot while setting secondary/tertiary timings to Auto mode to maximize your chances of POSTing.

Unfortunately, overclocking with these low bin kits will always be unpredictable, but nothing should actually restrict you FROM overclocking them. The real question will be if the sticks are using the same memory IC's (limited to the largest value of each respective timing that is stable per IC type used), and how much time you are willing to sink into tuning the various primary/secondary/tertiary timings available to you.

I would also make sure to run plenty of stability tests for both your memory and CPU since overclocking your memory can destabilize a borderline CPU/Infinity Fabric overclock. Some good tests would be Prime95 blend tests, Linpack Extreme, GSAT memory test, HCI Memtest and Karhu Ramtest (paid). Data corruption and/or data loss is quite likely with memory overclocking and it is recommended to make data backups ASAP if you haven't already.

Hope this information helps and good luck!

Sincerely: shellashock

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Do you know what memory chips your current sticks are using? Using a SPD reader like Thaiphoon Burner can help with this (assuming SPD was programmed correctly), or you can pull off the heatsinks (moderate to high risk of damaging the sticks if you don't know what you're doing; especially if the heatsink is thermal epoxied to ICs). Once you know the memory chips being used, it should be much easier to find compatible memory sticks.

3000 MHz 16-20-20 is crazy loose timings wise and could be a LOT of different memory ICs. That being said, buying a 3200 MHz kit with equal or better timings at same voltage "should" make the process of matching your currently overclocked timings easier. I would make sure to install your weaker memory stick in the A2 slot and the stronger memory stick in the B2 slot while setting secondary/tertiary timings to Auto mode to maximize your chances of POSTing.

Unfortunately, overclocking with these low bin kits will always be unpredictable, but nothing should actually restrict you FROM overclocking them. The real question will be if the sticks are using the same memory IC's (limited to the largest value of each respective timing that is stable per IC type used), and how much time you are willing to sink into tuning the various primary/secondary/tertiary timings available to you.

I would also make sure to run plenty of stability tests for both your memory and CPU since overclocking your memory can destabilize a borderline CPU/Infinity Fabric overclock. Some good tests would be Prime95 blend tests, Linpack Extreme, GSAT memory test, HCI Memtest and Karhu Ramtest (paid). Data corruption and/or data loss is quite likely with memory overclocking and it is recommended to make data backups ASAP if you haven't already.

Hope this information helps and good luck!

Sincerely: shellashock
yeah, that's what I was thinking... the same ram model, but with 3200 (the one that im gonna buy) came stock with 16-18-18 (Hynix A-DIE / AFR - all the xpg d60g uses the same chip, except for the 4133 mhz one, that uses samsung b-die).

My overclocked ram is stable at 3333 16-19-19 (very similar), and as I said, I think it would go much further if the recent bios didn't come with a 1.4v limitation. When I buy the other stick, Im gonna try to reduce the times a little more. The reason why I don't risk to came back to the other bios is because the new one comes with a better agesa.

You helped me a lot, thank you!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts