+Asus sabertooth x58
+core i7 970
+ 1 HDD seagate 1TB , 1HDD seagate 1.5TB
+1 SD drive
+1 bluray drive
+ 1 Asus GTX 580
+ case NZXT phantom .
AND RAM is : 4 Gb RAM DELL 1066 mhz

=> I forgot to put brass standoffs on my case , then now my mobo got damage . I just tried back , the light and fan are on and running , whole mobo still work good ,but the monitor no signal , I'm sure 100% that I connected everything correctly such as " CPU fan still run , GPU fan still run , and RAM light and mobo light are on . But monitor no signal , and can not boot to windows or even BIOS , the screen is lack all of time

=> So my question is : what most part get damage when forgot to put brass standoffs on motherboard ? such as [ GPU , cpU , RAM , HDD , Bluray drive ...] ? I knew that my mobo is dead now , and I'm very scared for my "GPU and CPU" , Does anyone get this problem ? , please let me know that " Are my CPU and GPU still alive in this situation ? "

Thanks

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Unfortunately in this situation the most correct answer would be, "everything, nothing or something"

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you can try the 580 in another computer.
Look at all the parts for any visible damage, and this may sound funny, smell the board.
If it smells funny find the source of the smell.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
There's no easy way to tell what parts you damaged.

I would probably start with a new motherboard, and then keep your fingers crossed that nothing else was damaged. If so, you will have to troubleshoot further with the new symptoms.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by scripttester2
View Post

If you can try the 580 in another computer.
Look at all the parts for any visible damage, and this may sound funny, smell the board.
If it smells funny find the source of the smell.

but i can not see anythng damaged on mobo , CPU or GPU , all's still like new .

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You could try pulling the CMOS battery and disconnecting power for a bit, then putting it back and see if it boots. If that doesn't work, you could try moving the GPU to another slot as well.

...Hard to say what will work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SectorNine50
View Post

You could try pulling the CMOS battery and disconnecting power for a bit, then putting it back and see if it boots. If that doesn't work, you could try moving the GPU to another slot as well.

...Hard to say what will work.

I tried the CMOS method , but still not working

·
Registered
643 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UBERmorrison
View Post

Give up and cry. How did you manage to do that?!

That is not going to help him whatsoever...
He made a mistake like we all do. That's all there is.

Anyway, only way to check whats working and what's not is to swap parts by parts with another working computer.
Or take it to the local computer repair shop and explain what you did so they can test each parts for you.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'll tell you what happened to me.

I accidentally bent one of my socket pins while inserting a cooler.. I had the exact same symptoms you had, no screen signal, fans running at full speed and not going down. Listen to the fans carefully and try to hear if they slow down after boot. If not, sounds like a CPU issue. Check if your pins are bent, and if they aren't probably some circuits are damaged.

I don't know if ASUS accepts RMA's for user fault but I'm sure they'll repair for a fee. Better than buying a whole new thing.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aryuautku
View Post

I'll tell you what happened to me.

I accidentally bent one of my socket pins while inserting a cooler.. I had the exact same symptoms you had, no screen signal, fans running at full speed and not going down. Listen to the fans carefully and try to hear if they slow down after boot. If not, sounds like a CPU issue. Check if your pins are bent, and if they aren't probably some circuits are damaged.

I don't know if ASUS accepts RMA's for user fault but I'm sure they'll repair for a fee. Better than buying a whole new thing.

No, any motherboard company will replace for a non booting board, regardless of how it happened.

Anyway, go ahead and replace the board, test parts with the new one, and go from there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts