Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys,

I am coming from AMD and with Intel i have no experiences in the past 10 years. I already have on the way a 12400F CPU, but i am unsure what motherboard to buy.

-I‘d like to overclocking, but 12400F is locked. Does it make sense to buy Z690 motherboard than?Or with BCLK i can still do overclcoking?
-Asrock has Base Frequency Boost for all LGA1700 motherboards, is that any good?
-If i cannot overclcok the CPU or have no sense, i still want to overclcock memory. I am reading B660 motherboards can do that too. And I have selected Patriot DDR4-4400 Samsun B-die, i want to bring the full potential out of them. I am reading MSI PRO Z690-A is the best in it.

So i am thinking on the following motherboards,
-MSI PRO Z690-A (prooven by many has great memory overclocking),
-Asus B660 Proart (best looking motherboard and good price),
-Asrock Z690 Extreme (offers many overclcoking options)

Or you can reccommend something else?

Update:
It turned to be in some motherboards these locked processors can be BCLK overclocked. From now on i am interested only on those motherboards.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
My vote goes to PRO Z690-A :)

·
Vandelay Industries
2,683 Posts
Price the board options out. If it is cheaper to get the z690 than it is to up the chip and get a lesser board, go for it. If getting an i7 with a lesser board is cheaper, I'd go that route.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
if you can just hold off for a few and see which (if any) of the affordable motherboards offer the bclk unlock for the non-k cpus, like the top tier asus boards offer... it would be in your best interest. debu8er's last few videos show this off but like he said, unfortunately right now only the very expensive boards offer this feature, and hes not sure if it is because they offer a external clock gen or not. If I was you, id wait a week or 2 and see if asus allows this feature on sub 350$ boards and maybe the likes from other manufactures will follow. If this feature comes available for cheaper boards, it will allow you to run your 12400f @ 5+GHz with extreme ease

• Rep+
Reactions: Alexshunter

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,998 Posts
Would basically keep some of these 12400F's running at basic speed for 24/7 operation.

Good cpu that keeps within power limits if you choose the right motherboard. Lower the speed, lower power consumption for many setups under one roof.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is interesting, i am looking forward to hear more about this bclk unlock, how it is working. And actually i can wait a few weeks more, my current pc still exist and i even go for a Cuban holiday soon. It would be wonderful to do such overclocking :).

if you can just hold off for a few and see which (if any) of the affordable motherboards offer the bclk unlock for the non-k cpus, like the top tier asus boards offer... it would be in your best interest. debu8er's last few videos show this off but like he said, unfortunately right now only the very expensive boards offer this feature, and hes not sure if it is because they offer a external clock gen or not. If I was you, id wait a week or 2 and see if asus allows this feature on sub 350$ boards and maybe the likes from other manufactures will follow. If this feature comes available for cheaper boards, it will allow you to run your 12400f @ 5+GHz with extreme ease

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
That is interesting, i am looking forward to hear more about this bclk unlock, how it is working. And actually i can wait a few weeks more, my current pc still exist and i even go for a Cuban holiday soon. It would be wonderful to do such overclocking :).
AND...........here you go!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, So i did some researches and so far these motherboards are supporting BCLK overclocking:

-ASROCK B660 Steel Legend DDR4 (not confirmed, just mentioned)
-ASUS ROG Strix B660-G Gaming WIFI DDR5 –>210EUR
-ASUS ROG Strix B660-F Gaming WIFI DDR5 —>250EUR
-And some super expensive Z690 ASUS motherboards.

I will wait 2 more weeks with motherboard… And until my 12100F is already waiting here;
Rectangle Gadget Laptop accessory Font Laptop part

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Finally i purchased the Asus ROG B660-F DDR5 motherboard and it is totally worth the money over cheaper DDR4 boards and i explain why! Mostly because , for overclocking you need better quality motherboard. For more money you get better, which will affect not just the CPU overclocking, but also the memory. And tweaked DDR5 is faster than DDR4!

DDR5 very expensive? No. I purchased 2x8GB Patriot DDR5-4800MHz CL40 modules for 172 EUR on Alza. No needed to buy 32GB, 64GB…etc, 16GB is enough for everything. Best in the best these Patriot modules have SK Hynix chips, which are currently the best for overclocking.

So now everything is given for excellent overclocking; strong Asus B660 motherboard, Core i3-12100f processor and DDR5 SK Hynix with significant potential to unleash the quad core power you did not see yet! And i either…

I managed stable 5.2GHz with 1.3V, while the memory modules are on 6GHz CL32 with 1.25V.
Computer Personal computer Font Screenshot Software

If I could add to memory reading speed?​

Lets see what it can do with these nice overclocking parameters,
Furniture Property Table Building Comfort

Just as comparsion the same expensive quad core from AMD, the Ryzen 3 3100 could do 440 single and 2350 multicore Chinebench R20 scores. But even my tuned 350! Euro AMD Ryzen 5800X could do only 660 single core score.​

UserBenchmark result

My upgrade from AMD system have worth absolutely, because this new Intel system gives plenty headroom for overclocking and that brings happiness. Also noteworthy AMD processors are still super overpriced and fortunately still enough people who willing to pay well for used parts. I basically made money on my mind blowing upgrade, thanks to Intel, my faith is restored in you :))).

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
glad the board worked out for ya... see, like i said to you weeks ago... just wait it out a little and BAM!

·
Registered
16 Posts
has anyone on here have the STRIX B660-G GAMING WIFI and how high did you manage to overlock with a non stock cooler. Will it be the same as the B660 F in the video? as I found a board( STRIX B660-G GAMING WIFI ) for 200€ , i5 12400f and cheap ddr5 and am looking to buy it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
has anyone on here have the STRIX B660-G GAMING WIFI and how high did you manage to overlock with a non stock cooler. Will it be the same as the B660 F in the video? as I found a board( STRIX B660-G GAMING WIFI ) for 200€ , i5 12400f and cheap ddr5 and am looking to buy it.
Go ahead, will be very good!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what cooling are you using? to get 5,2 GHz and what temps do you have . My combo will arrive tomorrow or the day after and I'm still looking for a CPU cooler. Thanks in advance
Use something AIO, I use NZXT X53, it keeps CPU around 80C at load. Let me know how will overclock your CPU!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Use something AIO, I use NZXT X53, it keeps CPU around 80C at load. Let me know how will overclock your CPU!
Hi there sorry for the late reply, I've been so busy and haven't been able to get a hold of an aftermarket cooler or backplate. In regards to the overclock so far, I think it's gone well with the stock cooler. 4.8ghz with 2 cores and 4.55ghz with 6 cores. cpuz reports 1.083v under load @ 4.55 with 6 cores and 1.128 at idle which keeps the temps at 65 deg under load
Font Line Screenshot Software Rectangle
Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Software

also had to RMA one stick of ram so only have one, but managed to overclock to 6300, but for the clocks, I have at bclk 120 it's a bit less. My friend is going to lend me a backplate for lga 1700 but just for one day to test. I will update the info when I have it

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is nice. I have now two 12100F and a 12400F too. What i see is at memory overclcocking depertment little after 6000MHz is the end. Only one CPU from the three can do 6400MHz memory clock. Your CPU shows similar behavior.
And i also see at CPU clock 5GHz is comfortable for all the three at 1.25V, while 5.2GHz is difficult to get it absolutely stable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is nice. I have now two 12100F and a 12400F too. What i see is at memory overclcocking depertment little after 6000MHz is the end. Only one CPU from the three can do 6400MHz memory clock. Your CPU shows similar behavior.
And i also see at CPU clock 5GHz is comfortable for all the three at 1.25V, while 5.2GHz is difficult to get it absolutely stable.
What revision of the i5 12400f do you have (The H0 or the C0). I have the C0 version which has the cores disabled and a larger die, also The highest I have been able to push the memory is 6300, what memory voltage and controller voltage did you use to achieve 6400.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What revision of the i5 12400f do you have (The H0 or the C0). I have the C0 version which has the cores disabled and a larger die, also The highest I have been able to push the memory is 6300, what memory voltage and controller voltage did you use to achieve 6400.
interesting, my is C0 too. I wonder if H0 any better?
For 6400MHz, i did not touch controller voltage, just i bumped up memory voltage to 1.35V. Maybe less voltage would have been enough though.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts