Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning to build file server for home use so is it better do use dedicated os for server like linux samba or windows 7 dirve sharing is good enough ? what are benifits of samba ? or maybe windows server 2008 or something like that ?

·
SubZero is the Goal
1,562 Posts
I have tried all of the above solutions you have mentioned, a lot of headaches, frustration, and exhaustion. Eventually I ended up using my HTPC for the file sharing in my windows workgroup. Larger tower to support the 5x 3.5" drives in addition to the boot drive ( windows 7 pro sp1 ). My simple solution was to configure simple shares with access to everyone who connects. Quick and dirty, but it works. I chose to use the HTPC as it is the only tower that does not get touched and already as an extensive collection of music, movies, and tv series in its library. Makes sense to migrate everything else over to a computer that is always on anyway.

·
13,090 Posts
I run Ubuntu 14.04 as the main server to setup up the drives in RAID, folder structure, automatic torrent client.

Then I run a Windows VM on the HTPC that sets up shares like Hardheaded mentioned that other Windows users can easily access along with a Plex server. Since the HTPC is on 24/7 and the main user of the server storage, it made sense to put a VM on there to also handle the shares and what not. And since it's in a VM, I can remote desktop to the VM to make changes to Plex, the shares, and other stuff without kicking someone off the HTPC watching the latest Game of Thrones or playing games through the multitude of emulators.

·
SubZero is the Goal
1,562 Posts
I never thought of using VM for the shares, just made a second admin user account on HTPC for share management. Something to consider when I upgrade that machine in the fall. Thanks Axipher! What is this plex you speak of?

·
13,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardheadedMurphy View Post

I never thought of using VM for the shares, just made a second admin user account on HTPC for share management. Something to consider when I upgrade that machine in the fall. Thanks Axipher! What is this plex you speak of?
Plex Media Server, basically catalogues your entire media collection (movies, tv shows, music) and pulls the meta data and posters from the interwebz so you can browse your media like Netflix and track watched shows and make user accounts for people in your house too. It also allow remote access and does on-the-fly transcoding to whatever device you are streaming too.

So in my case, the VM handles all that stuff, then the HTPC can just use a web interface to browse my library, as well as the Xbox 360 in my bedroom, or when I'm away for work, I just log in to the web interface and stream all my media from anywhere else.

·
SubZero is the Goal
1,562 Posts
Sweet! Now I really have something to consider.. The 3tb Media drive in my HTPC is a headache to update and categorize. near full, 300gigs in mp3 rest is all blue ray and TV series. Just not sure how my wife will take me ... never mind upgrading, time to plan a NEW HTPC Build lol.

·
13,090 Posts
The TV show cataloguer relies a little bit more on proper folder structure for the shows, but there's guides for Plex.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts