Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Questionnaire galore!
Joined
·
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What OS do i use on a Dell Dimension V350

Planning on using it as a web server and data server.....

Specs are:

Intel Pentium II 350Mhz
Cache RAM 512Kb
System Memory: 64MB
Bank 0: 64MB
Bank 1: 32MB
Bank 2: 32MB
I think a total of 128MB
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,930 Posts
Linux. Even Windows XP will be slow as hell on that. And good luck with sharing data on something that slow. My old file server was a dual Pentium 3 with each CPU at 1.25GHz. And just switching it over to my HTPC (Athlon x2 3800+) made a HUGE difference in file speeds.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts

·
Questionnaire galore!
Joined
·
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well luckily i have a CD of Ubuntu Server 10.04 here ( I ordered )

I might just use it as a Web Server.....

And does Ubuntu Server have GUI or Gnome cause i don't know anything ( almost ) about command.
 

·
Questionnaire galore!
Joined
·
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need something that has GUI or Gnome.......
 

·
Questionnaire galore!
Joined
·
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could 98 run Apache?
 

·
Questionnaire galore!
Joined
·
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really need an OS that has GUI but not as old as 98.....
 

·
Networking Nerd
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
I'm not sure if it powerful enough for both tasks...

There's only 128MB of RAM....
I can add....

Quote:
Ubuntu Server (CLI) Installation

* 300 MHz x86 processor
* 128 MiB of system memory (RAM)
* 1 GB of disk space
* Graphics card and monitor capable of 640x480
*

CD-ROM drive
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...20Installation

Don't use the gui you'll be better off not using it on this machine. It's really easy just follow the tutorials and then use a client computer with filezilla to put the files and folders where you want it.
 

·
Car cheaper than computer
Joined
·
3,049 Posts
Dam Small Linux, runs in 50 mb of ram, with gui. (or just use arch and OB)
 

·
Questionnaire galore!
Joined
·
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
I can add....

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...20Installation

Don't use the gui you'll be better off not using it on this machine. It's really easy just follow the tutorials and then use a client computer with filezilla to put the files and folders where you want it.
Client computer like my desktop right now?

And whats filezilla?

How about FreeNAS?
 

·
Networking Nerd
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Have you considered security? I would suggest spending more time learning about server security than you spend setting it up. Where is this being hosted? Your home? Do you know how to set it as a static IP? How much traffic do you plan on having? A residential contract with qwest or comcast doesn't allow you to host a server and they will threaten to cancel your service if you don't upgrade to the business account. Happened to me. Do you already have a domain name? If you need help setting any of this up PM me.
 

·
Networking Nerd
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
Dam Small Linux, runs in 50 mb of ram, with gui. (or just use arch and OB)
Have you actually ever used dsl as a server? I have an my experience was very frustrating I'll leave it at that.
 

·
Car cheaper than computer
Joined
·
3,049 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
Have you actually ever used dsl as a server? I have an my experience was very frustrating I'll leave it at that.
Then he can just use Lbuntu, ran in 80 mb.
 

·
Questionnaire galore!
Joined
·
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
Have you considered security? I would suggest spending more time learning about server security than you spend setting it up. Where is this being hosted? Your home? Do you know how to set it as a static IP? How much traffic do you plan on having? A residential contract with qwest or comcast doesn't allow you to host a server and they will threaten to cancel your service if you don't upgrade to the business account. Happened to me. Do you already have a domain name? If you need help setting any of this up PM me.
I was planing on using DynDNS and their free domains.

Yes at my home.

I'm in the Philippines companies here are diff...

Normal site sharing pictures and some Data.
 

·
Questionnaire galore!
Joined
·
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
Have you actually ever used dsl as a server? I have an my experience was very frustrating I'll leave it at that.
What do you mean DSL as a sever?
 

·
Car cheaper than computer
Joined
·
3,049 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedster159 View Post
What do you mean DSL as a sever?
Dam Small Linux.
D___S____L
 

·
Networking Nerd
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedster159 View Post
I was planing on using DynDNS and their free domains.

Yes at my home.

I'm in the Philippines companies here are diff...

Normal site sharing pictures and some Data.
I've used dyn and it worked just as it should so no complaints with it. Alright just giving you a heads up. You'll probably have to do some port forwarding so clients can get to the server if there are other computers in the LAN.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedster159 View Post
Client computer like my desktop right now?

And whats filezilla?

How about FreeNAS?
Filezilla is a ftp client used to transfer files to and from one computer to another in this case from your home computer (client) to your server.

I haven't messed around with freenas. A nas is a network attached storage server so I know it can support file transfer but I'm not so sure on how it deals with web traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedster159 View Post
What do you mean DSL as a sever?
Damn Small Linux.

I really can't stress security enough. There's so many bad things that can happen to an unsecure server and you could be legally held responsible for those things.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top