Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

i'm currently considering putting some vram heatsinks on my asus 580 dc2 card. i haven't heard from anyone who has suffered vram problems with my card, but just looking at a naked vram somewhat worries me a little...

the story is i bought some aluminium vram heatsinks from arctic cooling, they're made of aluminium with no finishing paint.

now, my gpu pcb is black, so i kinda want to paint the heatsinks black as well, but i have no experience or knowledge in this whatsoever, so i would like to ask for your advice.

basically, what i want to know specifically is do i need some heat resistant paint or just normal paint will do? reason for asking is that i know the vram gets pretty toasty underload...

or, should i just leave the aluminium heatsinks as they are and forget about the colour?

thanks in advance!
 

·
Not having a good time
Joined
·
2,395 Posts
Personally I wouldn't but If I were to paint it I would use a High heat resistant spray paint so you can evenly coat it but remember when spray painting do passive sprays (Like how you Strafe when gaming) and don't spray too much in one area even with small objects like a heatsink because if you do too much heat may get trapped in that area, effectively reducing your heatsinks capabilities.
biggrin.gif


Good luck with your project.
cool.gif


And like rheicel said "One coat should do just fine"
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: erik257

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheicel;14222852
You can use any black metal paint. Usuallu you only need one coat for black colour.
thanks for the quick reply rheicel

do you think those will cut it? i know those are for graffiti primarily, they say it's for any surface, but didn't mention anything about high heat environment, any thoughts? or do i have to get paint designed specifically for metal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateful_Ikkou;14222875
Personally I wouldn't but If I were to paint it I would use a High heat resistant spray paint so you can evenly coat it but remember when spray painting do passive sprays (Like how you Strafe when gaming) and don't spray too much in one area even with small objects like a heatsink because if you do too much heat may get trapped in that area, effectively reducing your heatsinks capabilities.
biggrin.gif


Good luck with your project.
cool.gif


And like rheicel said "One coat should do just fine"
thanks for the speedy reply

so heat resistant paint, fair enough, it makes more sense but i just don't know where to get them, that's the problem with moving to a new country, LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik257;14222895
thanks for the quick reply rheicel

do you think those will cut it? i know those are for graffiti primarily, they say it's for any surface, but didn't mention anything about high heat environment, any thoughts? or do i have to get paint designed specifically for metal?
A metal paint will be necessary as they will be stronger and will not be easily stripped.

To ensure thin paint application, submerge the spray paint can into a hot water before using it. This will allow you to apply a very thin coat that will not affect the performance of the heatsinks. Dont forget to test the paint in a dummy object first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
If you go to Menards, they sell "Aluminum Primer". Once Primed, you can use whatever the heck you want. For glossy finish, look for "Engine Paint" at the local autopart store. For flat finish, you can use bbq grill paint, also sold at menards and other depots.

p.s. disregard the store names. but you got the idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0w3n;14222951
First thought that comes to mind is that the paint would actually insulate the aluminum and keep more heat in the metal itself instead of letting it come to the surface, the surface now being the paint, and being whisked away by air flow.
Spot on, that is the reason why the paint should be very thin just purely to satisfy aesthetics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by fl0w3n
View Post

First thought that comes to mind is that the paint would actually insulate the aluminum and keep more heat in the metal itself instead of letting it come to the surface, the surface now being the paint, and being whisked away by air flow.

hmmm...you reckon painting the heatsinks (if i can get a thin coat) would be at least a bit better than just leaving the vrams 'naked'?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by 100PARIK
View Post

He could always find a place that would anodize it for him.... but he's not local, so I cant help there.

OP, let me see the picture of that heatsink

yeah, not being a local doesn't help finding things...


sorry, a bit lazy to take an actual photo as my dslr takes stupidly high res pics then i'll have to resize it and upload...you get the idea

here's a pic i found on the internet, i'm only using the 12 small vram sinks top right of the pic



any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by 100PARIK
View Post

http://www.thefintels.com/aer/homealuminumanodizing.htm check this out, but I wouldn't recommend it. Still looks like a cool project

lol, looks like a fun project, but doubt i'd be able to do it though!

thanks for the link nonetheless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Jaguarbamf
View Post

VRM's can really heat up. If you get paint for them, make sure the paint can withstand the heat!

I've had cheap paint chip already.

oops...

thanks, advice taken!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,392 Posts
I wouldn't personally be worried about using metal paint due to the possibility of stripping, but I'd be more concerned that the paint could lower the effectiveness of the VRM :/
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top