Overclock.net banner

what paint to use? or no paint?

1260 Views 20 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  fl0w3n
hi guys,

i'm currently considering putting some vram heatsinks on my asus 580 dc2 card. i haven't heard from anyone who has suffered vram problems with my card, but just looking at a naked vram somewhat worries me a little...

the story is i bought some aluminium vram heatsinks from arctic cooling, they're made of aluminium with no finishing paint.

now, my gpu pcb is black, so i kinda want to paint the heatsinks black as well, but i have no experience or knowledge in this whatsoever, so i would like to ask for your advice.

basically, what i want to know specifically is do i need some heat resistant paint or just normal paint will do? reason for asking is that i know the vram gets pretty toasty underload...

or, should i just leave the aluminium heatsinks as they are and forget about the colour?

thanks in advance!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik257;14222895
thanks for the quick reply rheicel

do you think those will cut it? i know those are for graffiti primarily, they say it's for any surface, but didn't mention anything about high heat environment, any thoughts? or do i have to get paint designed specifically for metal?
A metal paint will be necessary as they will be stronger and will not be easily stripped.

To ensure thin paint application, submerge the spray paint can into a hot water before using it. This will allow you to apply a very thin coat that will not affect the performance of the heatsinks. Dont forget to test the paint in a dummy object first.

· Registered
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0w3n;14222951
First thought that comes to mind is that the paint would actually insulate the aluminum and keep more heat in the metal itself instead of letting it come to the surface, the surface now being the paint, and being whisked away by air flow.
Spot on, that is the reason why the paint should be very thin just purely to satisfy aesthetics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.