Overclock.net banner

what paint to use? or no paint?

1256 Views 20 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  fl0w3n
hi guys,

i'm currently considering putting some vram heatsinks on my asus 580 dc2 card. i haven't heard from anyone who has suffered vram problems with my card, but just looking at a naked vram somewhat worries me a little...

the story is i bought some aluminium vram heatsinks from arctic cooling, they're made of aluminium with no finishing paint.

now, my gpu pcb is black, so i kinda want to paint the heatsinks black as well, but i have no experience or knowledge in this whatsoever, so i would like to ask for your advice.

basically, what i want to know specifically is do i need some heat resistant paint or just normal paint will do? reason for asking is that i know the vram gets pretty toasty underload...

or, should i just leave the aluminium heatsinks as they are and forget about the colour?

thanks in advance!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rheicel
View Post

Spot on, that is the reason why the paint should be very thin just purely to satisfy aesthetics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by erik257
View Post

hmmm...you reckon painting the heatsinks (if i can get a thin coat) would be at least a bit better than just leaving the vrams 'naked'?

That one I'm not too sure on, but projects are fun and I see no harm in trying

I know that these cards stay pretty damn cool, I've noticed personally a ~20*c difference between my reference 580 and DCUII 580.

Why not give it a try though, either use a temp gun if you have it, or one of those AUX motherboard temp sensors and put the unpainted sink on the vram and measure temp. Then paint it, and put the sensor back in the same place and measure temp again. See how it turns out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.