Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old school gamer
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know that if you took a poll here it would be very high but I am referring to world wide. I was looking at STEAM's Hardware Poll and this got me thinking. On the Intel clock speed section the 3.7 and up speed are less than half a percentage point. On the AMD side that same stat is higher at 1.5%. Based on the overall numbers that would seem to indicate the 3.7 and above group make up LESS than a single percentage point overall.

Now I understand that there could well be a number of over clockers still in the lower numbers but I think you can see what I am meaning.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Gaming is huge compared to overclocking, especially when you factor in laptops which are harder to overclock. In my group of RL friends (15-20 gamers), I am the only one who overclocks.

• Rep+
Reactions: CULLEN

·
Registered
720 Posts
I wouldn't imagine very many people... Most PC gamers are probably just gamers running pre-builts that wouldn't have a clue on how to OC.

I however, and my friends, are overclockers, and we're gaming a lot!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Minority. Out of my entire group of friends (who are gamers) I used to be the only one who overclocked, but even today I don't bother wasting my time on overclocking and instead of spending hours trying to hit the sweet spot, I'd rather just upgrade my graph card for 1-2-300 bucks.

Overclocking isn't what it used to be. Back when you could push a petty $50-60 processor into a beast (eg. Intel E5200 2.5 GHz to 4.4 Ghz or AMD 550 3.1 GHz Dual Core into a 4.2 Ghz Quad Core monster) it used to be much more fun and actually worth the effort since you might be competing against processor 3-4x the price, but today.. meh.. it's not the same.

Don't get me wrong, overclocking is still plenty 'o fun, which is why I've got 3570K, but today my primary concern is to have an incredibly silent computer.

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
Was that steam list desktop only? If not then you have quite a few laptops on there and the percentage of OCers on laptops is prob very slim compared to desktop.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It might also have a little to do with when a user benches their system for steam,
I can see steam being installed and games played to test a system prior to overclocking, so the system spec will be sent at that point when a user authorises the machine to use their steam account.

does anyone bother to update steam once they start to overclock?
smile.gif

·
Old school gamer
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CULLEN View Post

Overclocking isn't what it used to be. Back when you could push a petty $50-60 processor into a beast (eg. Intel E5200 2.5 GHz to 4.4 Ghz or AMD 550 3.1 GHz Dual Core into a 4.2 Ghz Quad Core monster) it used to be much more fun and actually worth the effort since you might be competing against processor 3-4x the price, but today.. meh.. it's not the same..
Ahh the good old days, I recall my first serious attempts at overclocking, Celeron 300. OMG that thing was a beast going to 450Mhz and running dead even with the heavy hitting chips of the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts