Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at the pic I posted below. Which temps should I go by? There's a large difference between the listed temps in the 2 different programs. So far, all cooling is stock and I want to perfect my air cooling before I overclock. My case fans, cpu heatsink/fan, and IOH heatsink/fan are in the mail (dont freak out about the IOH temp lol)

Thanks for the help!

 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,954 Posts
Real Temp and Core Temp are the most accurate. I see that Core Temp is going by a Tj. Max of 100°C, but I don't know whether or not that's accurate for the i7 940 (it could be, I guess).

So, try Real Temp too just to see if there's any difference (there probably won't be).

As for the msi Overclocking Center: that thing is way off. It's gotta be! I mean, 23°C is a bit unrealistic unless your room temperature is a bit on the cold side.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,923 Posts
CoreTemp is likely the more accurate of the readings.

You could try cross-referencing with HWMonitor, and perhaps the BIOS.

When in doubt I err on the side of caution and go with the highest of the readings (unless it is SpeedFan, which I ignore when applicable).

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Real Temp and Core Temp are the most accurate. I see that Core Temp is going by a Tj. Max of 100°C, but I don't know whether or not that's accurate for the i7 940 (it could be, I guess).

So, try Real Temp too just to see if there's any difference (there probably won't be).

As for the msi Overclocking Center: that thing is way off. It's gotta be! I mean, 23°C is a bit unrealistic unless your room temperature is a bit on the cold side.
Real Temp and Core Temp read the exact same numbers.

So with that being said, what can I use that will also monitor the IOH temps, because it's obviously higher than what the MSI OverclockingCenter says.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shapiror06 View Post
Real Temp and Core Temp read the exact same numbers.

So with that being said, what can I use that will also monitor the IOH temps, because it's obviously higher than what the MSI OverclockingCenter says.
I don't know yet.
I bet somebody else does though.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shapiror06 View Post
I wish I had an IR Thermometer lol
So buy one!


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,923 Posts
You might be able to get a reading from Everest, or just for laughs you could try SpeedFan and see what it has to report. SpeedFan is kinda hit-or-miss, sometimes the readings are ridiculously out of range and at others they are spot on with other monitoring programs that I feel are more universally accurate.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shapiror06 View Post
Yeah... i cant imagine an IR temp reading from atop the heatsink would be as acurate as a die reading though.
I agree. Syrillian has a great suggestion though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
You might be able to get a reading from Everest, or just for laughs you could try SpeedFan and see what it has to report. SpeedFan is kinda hit-or-miss, sometimes the readings are ridiculously out of range and at others they are spot on with other monitoring programs that I feel are more universally accurate.
Speedfan seems to be pretty accurate with the core temps. However, I don't know what "Real Temp" and "Remote Temp" on LM84 is supposed to be. There are also a few labeled "Temp 1, 2, and 3" which I don't know what they're referring to either.

The Remote Temp is closest to what the MSI software shows as the IOH temp, but the Local Temp says -52 degrees?
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shapiror06 View Post
Speedfan seems to be pretty accurate with the core temps. However, I don't know what "Real Temp" and "Remote Temp" on LM84 is supposed to be. There are also a few labeled "Temp 1, 2, and 3" which I don't know what they're referring to either.

The Remote Temp is closest to what the MSI software shows as the IOH temp, but the Local Temp says -52 degrees?
Yeah, that's SpeedFan for ya. I hate that program.
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
SpeedFan, I use for controlling fan speeds. That's all.

The temps are way off. I mean, the air coming out of my laptop is obviously warm, EVEREST reports it at 40+-50+ celsius idle, and SF is reporting it as 30+. Way off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Yeah, that's SpeedFan for ya. I hate that program.


I think I figured out the IOH temp. It says the Remote Temp is on Chip LM84 which is also labeled under Intel SMBus. That must me the IOH.

I don't know what Temp 1, 2, and 3 are referring to though. They say they're on chip F71882F on the ISA Bus.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,954 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by shapiror06
View Post

I think I figured out the IOH temp. It says the Remote Temp is on Chip LM84 which is also labeled under Intel SMBus. That must me the IOH.

I don't know what Temp 1, 2, and 3 are referring to though. They say they're on chip F71882F on the ISA Bus.

This lack of clarity is why I hate SpeedFan. I don't have an alternate preference, but rather I'm just too laid back about it and so all I care about is the core temperature. However, I also don't have an i7.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,923 Posts
Yeah, SpeedFan can be grossly incorrect (i.e. fans spinning @ 30k+ rpm, CPU temps at 200C)


It's a hit-or-miss utility. Over the years some builds that I have used it on have been spot-on, others are little more than laughable.

But when it jives, it can be quite useful.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,988 Posts
From doing a quick search, Temp 1 is your System temp, Temp 2 is your chipset, and Temp 3 is near the PWM area.

Though take these as a grain of salt since SpeedFan doesn't have great precision into identifying what any of these are.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,954 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SimpleTech
View Post

From doing a quick search, Temp 1 is your System temp, Temp 2 is your chipset, and Temp 3 is near the PWM area.

Though take these as a grain of salt since SpeedFan doesn't have great precision into identifying what any of these are.

And not only that, but these might not even be the same for his system. I mean, I just don't trust SpeedFan one bit.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top