Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm building a new mini gaming rig, after learning that PSU's play a big part in GPU performance I was wondering how many watts do I realistically need to run a single 290?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*Update* I changed it to a single single R9 290 because it's $279 at my local store

MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G
AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 8GB 2133
AMD A10-7850K
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN-WIFI
1hard drive 500gb.
4fans

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchimera View Post

*Update* I changed it to a single single R9 290 because it's $279 at my local store

AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 8GB 2133
AMD A10-7850K
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN-WIFI
1hard drive 500gb.
4fans

Thanks
Get rid of the APU if you're building a gaming PC. You don't need the on die GPU.

Get an Intel processor depending on your budget.

If you need help deciding on a spec within a budget, just ask here.
 

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
realistically a good 450w - 550w would handle a 290 however if you are only running a single screen then your 7850k is going to bottleneck a 290 so what i would recommend is looking at something like a 280 or 280x for your build unless you are running more then one 1080p screen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This build is in my budget for a mini gaming rig I went the APU because it's only $150 with the mobo. Just need to know what psu to get.

Thanks
 

·
AMDiggity!
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
Why Kaveri (A10-7850k) instead of an FX if you're going to use a 290?

Are you planning to overclock? To extremes? This can double requirements

If running at stock clocks on everything and with the peripherals you mentioned 500W would be enough but it wouldn't hurt to do a 600 - at high load most PSU will begin to lose efficiency & generate heat. Plus then you have some head room for watercooling pump and some extra clocks (this is oc.net
smile.gif
)

Make sure the PSU has 8 and 6 pin power for the 290 - shouldn't be a problem unless you go cheap

For PSU reviews johnnyguru is a great resource

I have a not too dissimilar build with the girl's box (second sig rig) - A10 6800 over clocked to 4.7GHz and a lightly OC'd 280X running off a 600W
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

realistically a good 450w - 550w would handle a 290 however if you are only running a single screen then your 7850k is going to bottleneck a 290 so what i would recommend is looking at something like a 280 or 280x for your build unless you are running more then one 1080p screen
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could not find a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archea47 View Post

Why Kaveri (A10-7850k) instead of an FX if you're going to use a 290?

Are you planning to overclock? To extremes? This can double requirements

If running at stock clocks on everything and with the peripherals you mentioned 500W would be enough but it wouldn't hurt to do a 600 - at high load most PSU will begin to lose efficiency & generate heat. Plus then you have some head room for watercooling pump and done extra clocks (this is oc.net
smile.gif
)

Make sure the PSU has 8 and 6 pin power for the 290 - shouldn't be a problem unless you go cheap

For PSU reviews johnnyguru is a great resource
I do they make an ITX for it ?
 

·
Getting used to 'new'
Joined
·
5,126 Posts
Rosewill Capstone 450W, or Cooler Master V550S (VSM550) if you want a little bit of head room
 

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchimera View Post

According to JayzTwoCents A10 7850k will not bottleneck single mid-rage to higher-end cards too much.

http://youtu.be/sWans5FU4cU
you are current but you have to take in account that he is running the cpu overclocked at 4.5ghz which if you do plan to do you will need an after market cooler that can handle them speeds
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top