Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally unsure on what psu I should get for a new computer with the following.

i5 2500k
HD5770
WD3200AJS 320gb hdd
HD154UI 1.5tb hdd
ASRock P67 Extreme4
DVD drive
Not sure about ram yet

I'm really lost on what PSU I should get, I need a good safe one which wont fry my system, however I don't care how noisy it is and I'm not willing to buy a super expensive one. Also I'm from the UK.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Antec, Corsair, Cooler Master, Kingwin, SeaSonic, and XFX are your best bets to just pick a PSU at random. Seasonic being the most solid choice.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost4468;14245564
I'm really lost on what PSU I should get, I need a good safe one which wont fry my system, however I don't care how noisy it is and I'm not willing to buy a super expensive one. Also I'm from the UK.
You really don't need much power for that rig. If you don't intend on getting a higher powered graphics card or on going crossfire with the 5770 then you really would only need a quality 450W, less in fact.

Something like the XFX core 450W which is Seasonic internals would be great value.

If you plan crossfire or a higher powered graphics card at some point in the future you could look at the 550W or 650W version of the same.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Agreed, with lots of overclocking, you won't reach above 300W anyway, so about any decent unit should work.

However, I couldn't find anything decent that was cheaper than just the XFX Core 450W (£37.18), linked above. Well, at least this gets you something of good quality with lots of headroom for a reasonable upgrade, say to something of the HD 6950 level, pretty comfortably.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by infected rat;14245893
You really don't need much power for that rig. If you don't intend on getting a higher powered graphics card or on going crossfire with the 5770 then you really would only need a quality 450W, less in fact.

Something like the XFX core 450W which is Seasonic internals would be great value.

If you plan crossfire or a higher powered graphics card at some point in the future you could look at the 550W or 650W version of the same.
Thanks pretty sure I'm going to get that, thanks everybody. One last question, should I really upgrade from my current 300w psu though? As the last guy said I wouldn't need anything above that :/.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Running a 300W with a 5770/i5 isn't bad (i mean, it works), but isn't encouraged. Personally, I would just upgrade to safeguard your components from an inevitable PSU failure.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost4468;14250725
Thanks pretty sure I'm going to get that, thanks everybody. One last question, should I really upgrade from my current 300w psu though? As the last guy said I wouldn't need anything above that :/.
If your current 300W PSU is decent then you could certainly get by with it for a good while. The problem is that a lot of no name PSUs are useless and can't do their rated output. Do you know what model it is? There are a couple of 300W supplies on the recommended PSU list, so if it's one of those you could get away with it. If it's some unbranded piece of junk then you'll really need to replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.