Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on getting a 128gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD sometime soon for an OS drive and I want to know what I should do with my 3 1TB drives i'm currently using.

One option was to go with RAID 5 and use all 3 drives in raid, but I read that without a raid controller my writes will be really slow. The other option I was thought of was using 2 of my drives in RAID 0 and backing those drives up to my last drive using XCOPY.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Raid 5 will be the most fault tolerant, it will be a bit slower than with a dedicated RAID card, but still worth it IMO

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

Raid 5 will be the most fault tolerant, it will be a bit slower than with a dedicated RAID card, but still worth it IMO
I see what you mean, but I will be recording gameplay onto this RAID setup, so wouldn't the RAID 0 with backup be a better option?

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

agreed^^^
also you could look at a dell perc 5/1 or 6/i which can be found on ebay rather cheap and great performers.
http://www.overclock.net/t/359025/perc-5-i-raid-card-tips-and-benchmarks

also you idea about RAID 0 two drives with a dedicated back up drive will give you decent performance as well.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I would do RAID0 with the other drive as backup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts