Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I have a good stable 4ghz on my phenom II x2 555 I would like to get rid of the "cheap" Nanya Ram. I would like to get 2x2 sticks of DDR2 800mhz ( because I plan to add another 2x2GB later and the Phenom II's can run 1066mhz in 4 stick
). I have been reading reviews on Newegg and am just confused now. All I really use this PC for is games, so whatever would work the best for that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by coonmanx View Post
Here's some good ram...

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=T80...d2dc91450d47b8

Should OC up to 1000 with proper voltage. Do you need to stick with 800 speed or can you go 1066? You can always check the marketplace here as well.
No 1066 is a no go because I would like to ultimately have 8 gigs, 4x2gig sticks, and the Phenom II's can go more than 1 channel at 1066. I read that low latency is better than higher MHz on the Phenom II's also. It seems like such a mixed bag on the review side on Newegg. So now I am stuck, the A-Data mentioned above have some nice low latency, but I have never heard of A-Data before, are they good?

·
Registered
305 Posts
They're cheap (in price) and reliable, I've been running A-Data ram for a few months with absolutely no issues and they OC nicely with a FSB boost. However, i discovered that they don't like multiplier boosts, i tried going from 4x to 5.33x and it wouldn't work, tried changing voltages and everything, they just didnt want to do it

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I got this generic Nanya that I pulled from my Asus pre-built I bought from bestbuy, and check this out : http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1263648
I go this ram to 1000 mhz at 1.8 volt in the bios and 1.86v in Hwmonitor. It seems perfectly happy there too. It's just the stock latency's suck, and I want some decent bang for my buck gaming Ram

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
I've always had a really good experience with G.Skill, I used Super Talent once and it was OK but i know G.Skill always uses the latest and best materials and is priced competitively enough for me, cheers!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just to let you know, if you have 1066 memory at CAS 6, you can most likely underclock it to 800 and get the timings down to CAS 4. With AMD you want the lowest timings possible, Intel favors speed. Stick with good brands like A-Data, G.Skill, and Mushkin. Corsair is good, but horribly overpriced, so stay away from them.

Here's a chart that should help you:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Aren't this fancy!
7,223 Posts
Crucial Ballistix are great ram. They were recommended a lot some time ago. The price seems to be right on them and they are known for OC'ing well. I don't see them recommended as much, but I think the DDR3 market has a lot of good contenders for ram now, whereas Ballistix were some of the top DDR2 of there time. Just what I remember reading on here anyways, might wait for some other opinions

1 - 15 of 15 Posts