Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im upgrading my PC components to new ones (only few) and I was wondering what RAM to buy since I have 8 GB.

Now I Have no idea why RAM is so expensive now but I know that I need to upgrade my PC this month.

Now I have a 2x4 GB 1600 Kingston RAM and was wondering should I take another 2x4 or single 8GB RAM?

And which manafacturer to buy from ?

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
You should get another 2x4GB set. As long as it's 1600MHz CS9, the brand doesn't really matter (though getting the same Kingston RAM again would be ideal, if you can find it).

FYI 8GB is plenty for pretty much everything. I have 12GB RAM with 4GB set aside as cache, and I never run low.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

You should get another 2x4GB set. As long as it's 1600MHz CS9, the brand doesn't really matter (though getting the same Kingston RAM again would be ideal, if you can find it).

FYI 8GB is plenty for pretty much everything. I have 12GB RAM with 4GB set aside as cache, and I never run low.
that would put more on the IMC.(if it is dual channel)

The bears what mobo and cpu do you have?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Aside from whether you need it or not, your choice. Try to buy another 2 x 4gb kit identical to the one you already have. That would give you the best chance for compatibility.

If that particular kit is no longer available, try to buy another kit with the same speed, timings, and voltage as the kit you currently have.

Good luck.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
If you want future proof get an i7 3770k/2600k and 16GB but for gaming you dont need more than 8GB

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305395-30-memory-overclocking#4345219

This post has some good information but lacls that the max voltage for SB is about 1.7v on.memory and well some people in these forums says that. The IMC has more strain with sticks of memory used

Asrock oc guide

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231673&FM=1

Mayne these or some cheaper 2133 CL10 or CL9

But I have to warn you that the maximum stable frequency for SB is 2400MHz more will degradate or damage the IMC

And that the z77 asrock mobo have wrong reported vcore is. About 0.06-0.08v higher than the bios or windows shows

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bears View Post

Nothing but gaming.

But additional 8GB is for futureproofing.

So is it worth it ?
Eh, I think you should save money and get another 2x2 GB at most. 8GB is enough atm, 12GB would be plenty throughout the (long) life of your 2500k.

In a way, buying more RAM now might be a good idea. As manufacturers transition to DDR4, they'll ramp down DDR3 production... So DDR3 might not get much cheaper than it is ATM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 16gb of RAM and I never use all of it during daily use or when I'm doing work. The only time I get close is when I am working on some pretty complex CAD models. Think Autodesk Inventor and 1000+ parts. Rendering is another occasion where lots of RAM is useful. If you are doing high res rending of large CAD projects or high res rending of large video files then lots of RAM is good. Think 4k Blender modeling and raw 4k video in Adobe Suite (64gb of RAM can actually be useful in these situations). I don't do any high res rending though. By the time you will need 16gb of RAM you will be onto another system. You are safe with 8...

But if you really want to upgrade G.skill, Corsair, Kingston, Crucial and others are all good RAM. Find the specs and price you want or maybe what looks the coolest
thumb.gif

If you really want to add on to the memory that is currently in your system then I recommend getting the exact same kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts