Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a centurion 5 ii and i installed an matx mobo today but my problem is that i thought i needed to use hex screws but i only have 4 and there are 8 needed so i used some other ones that have the same head as the ones used for fans and optical drives (flat) but are a bit longer. i used these coz there were 9 of them, which was the same amount as standoffs.

i'm concerned that i'm using the wrong screw and i'll short circuit it or something.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elitestranger
View Post

i have a centurion 5 ii and i installed an matx mobo today but my problem is that i thought i needed to use hex screws but i only have 4 and there are 8 needed so i used some other ones that have the same head as the ones used for fans and optical drives (flat) but are a bit longer. i used these coz there were 9 of them, which was the same amount as standoffs.

i'm concerned that i'm using the wrong screw and i'll short circuit it or something.

Do you still have the 9 screws for the mobo? If so just replace them one at a time so you don't have to remove anything. As far as the other screws shorting out the board, I couldn't see that happening.

·
Premium Member
8,774 Posts
The four #6-32 4 hex head screws are for the PSU. The screws for the motherboard mount is the same ones you use for the floppy drive and 2.5" hard drive. There would be 17 of them and they are M3-5. You shouldn't have been able to screw the 4 hex head scres into the standoffs as they are different thread size and pitch, and you might have damaged the threads in the standoffs by doing so. You can try to remove them and replace them with the proper screws if you are careful.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf;12012530
The four #6-32 4 hex head screws are for the PSU. The screws for the motherboard mount is the same ones you use for the floppy drive and 2.5" hard drive. There would be 17 of them and they are M3-5. You shouldn't have been able to screw the 4 hex head scres into the standoffs as they are different thread size and pitch, and you might have damaged the threads in the standoffs by doing so. You can try to remove them and replace them with the proper screws if you are careful.
thx for the info. u answered my question perfectly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts