Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Not New to OCN
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
I have never heard of a keyboard with malware. I wouldn't worry about it.
 

·
KEYBOARD KONNOISSEUR
Joined
·
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiashimmer View Post

What security checks can I run to ensure my newly bought keyboard isn't fitted with malwares?
What keyboard is it? Most keyboards dont have onboard memory so you dont need to worry about it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100cotton View Post

I have never heard of a keyboard with malware. I wouldn't worry about it.
Few years ago I read about a TOR developer writing about NSA intercepting packages to her from Amazon and installing malware, she alleged that a keylogger of hardware or software was installed on one of her new keyboards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazah View Post

What keyboard is it? Most keyboards dont have onboard memory so you dont need to worry about it.
It's a Dell KB216.
 

·
KEYBOARD KONNOISSEUR
Joined
·
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiashimmer View Post

Few years ago I read about a TOR developer writing about NSA intercepting packages to her from Amazon and installing malware, she alleged that a keylogger of hardware or software was installed on one of her new keyboards.
It's a Dell KB216.
You have nothing to worry about, as stated above most keyboards (yours included) do not have on-board memory for anything like this to be saved and executed from.
 

·
KEYBOARD KONNOISSEUR
Joined
·
1,572 Posts
Yeah I remember reading about that, also the keyboard in question is a laptop replacement keyboard I believe which will naturally interact differently than a simple USB keyboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,471 Posts
Well if it's the NSA, they mod the keyboard to have on board memory... like adding hardware to the board. Who takes their keyboard apart as soon as they get it?

For the general Chinese malware, if you don't have memory on the keyboard, it's not possible.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top