Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my current setup, what should be my next upgrade? I know my CPU could use it but i'm actually hpapy with it, it does everything nicely. I'd like to spend anywhere up to $150 maybe.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'd shoot for a new heatsink/fan, and maybe a new sound card. THe rest of your system doesnt' look like it needs immediate upgrading atm.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I would go with a PSU $100. Since you didn't list your brand, i'm assuming you are using the one that came with your case....upgrade to something with 500w or more. Make sure it's a quality unit..
The PSU will have you setup for the next step in your build.....

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Well... if you purchased an Sunbeam NUUO550 for about $80 you could still squeeze in a Thermaltake Big Typhoon

• Rep+
Reactions: Action Trey!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Then you know what to buy.....even though it has a power rating of "420w", most likely it isn't producing more than 350....and its terrible power, very weak rails im sure with alot of variance.
I've read threads before where powersupplies have failed and taken a couple components with it....

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
I agree. A power supply would be needed before you start adding higher end components regardless. Also cpu cooling could be a big improvement. A decent video card option would a a geforce 6800gs. I believe US they are around $160 - 170 (they are 220 canadian).

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Does anyone know anything about dynex powersupplies. I picked one up at best buy a while ago with my friends discount so i got it for read cheap. Its a 500w but I dont know if its a good brand or not. No one seems to talk about them.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

I would go with a PSU $100. Since you didn't list your brand, i'm assuming you are using the one that came with your case....upgrade to something with 500w or more. Make sure it's a quality unit..
The PSU will have you setup for the next step in your build.....

500W is overkill IMHO. The stability of the rails is far more important than wattage. Don't just buy the highest wattage power supply you see. Use common sense...stick with Thermaltake, Aspire, Antec ect. (the MAJOR brandnames) therefore you get quaility, and stable voltage, which is better. Id say anywhere around 400W is more than plenty. Where are you poeple getting your power requirements from?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i plan on getting CF setup in my computer down the road so i want a PSU that'll run it perfectly.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slydog64

Does anyone know anything about dynex powersupplies. I picked one up at best buy a while ago with my friends discount so i got it for read cheap. Its a 500w but I dont know if its a good brand or not. No one seems to talk about them.

im sure the dynex psu's are better than what comes with most cases, but i dont know much of dynex myself,they look sorta cheap to me, so i would think they arent the greatest... but it should hold u off for a year or two...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was looking at CFing my system, but the benchmarks i've read don't seem to live up to the hype.

edit: i'm looking at the Raptors. 74gb one is on sale on newegg. Besides from faster loading times, what else will perform better? and how hard are they to install when i already have an IDE drive?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Raptors are easy to install, you might have to set SATA to enabled in your bios...
As far as PSU's, Look into the one I use. Fortron 500w, can be found for $80. Very high quality PSU. Either that or the Tagan 480w U22. Both are excellent performers for the price.

·
Registered
219 Posts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136165 i know this is more then you have to spoend... but i recommend this very highley, because i have the same board, just for sli =] ... i know therres huge differences.. becasue the whole nvidia/ati diferences but the bios are prtty much i dentical, and through this board i learned alot. oc'ing was a little hard at first but the forums at www.dfi-street.com helped me alot. so many ups about his board ans so little down...just htouhg t i would suggest. also if not i agree with most other people get a good psu... ans withthe exctra get a big thyphoon ( i have one and its perfect check my specs) or get the 68$ zalman fan its supposed to be the **** and i only got the thermaltake over due to the fact that a fridna had it and it was more of a surething =] ohk well ihope i helped. -trey
ps everyone leave me good rap =] ty

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aweir

500W is overkill IMHO. The stability of the rails is far more important than wattage. Don't just buy the highest wattage power supply you see. Use common sense...stick with Thermaltake, Aspire, Antec ect. (the MAJOR brandnames) therefore you get quaility, and stable voltage, which is better. Id say anywhere around 400W is more than plenty. Where are you poeple getting your power requirements from?

In reality the "WATT" rating on may PS don't amount to JACK!
Any current system with a power in depandant vid card needs a minimum of 24a total on the 12v+ rail(s)
I've see rated 500w PS with less than my antec 350w

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe1231

i was looking at CFing my system, but the benchmarks i've read don't seem to live up to the hype.

edit: i'm looking at the Raptors. 74gb one is on sale on newegg. Besides from faster loading times, what else will perform better? and how hard are they to install when i already have an IDE drive?

The Raptor may require a full OS reload ans the below suggestion wil most definatly.
If your up to it a good pair of 80g SATA drives in RAID 0 will perform very well and cost about $110. Either the WD800JB or the MAxtor Diamond Max 10 work very well. You MUST have 2 of the exact same drives.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts