Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My screen refresh rate setting are 60, 70, 72, and 75 Hertz how should I set my Monitor ?? Please Explain Why !!

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Set it to the highest possible on the default settings.. a.k.a. 75 hertz.. It will have a faster refresh rate, thus speeding up your screen in a sence.. Things will just run slightly smoother.

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
With an LCD monitor I don't think the refresh rate matters as much. With regular monitors you always want the highest rate that it can handle. The faster the refresh the easier on your eyes. Because of the way LCD monitors work it doesn't really matter, there should not be a refresh.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori

Set it to the highest possible on the default settings.. a.k.a. 75 hertz.. It will have a faster refresh rate, thus speeding up your screen in a sence.. Things will just run slightly smoother.

Just hope it does Explode

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
lol it wont explode.. And as for LCD's it will help. LCD's unless you buy a really new expensive one, can sometimes lag with picture.. Such as you hear a action but see it a second later.

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori

lol it wont explode.. And as for LCD's it will help. LCD's unless you buy a really new expensive one, can sometimes lag with picture.. Such as you hear a action but see it a second later.

I think you are referring to Pixel Response Time. Cheaper LCDs tend to ghost images because of the pixel refresh times. These are normally denoted in ms. 25ms is quite standard, but 16ms or less is better for gaming. Again the technology between CRT and LCD are much different. If you need proof use a video camera and film a CRT monitor at various refresh rates, then do the same with an LCD. Although I have not tried this, there should be no change in the LCD. Just about all LCD will refresh at 60Hz. On CRT monitors this rate denotes how quickly the screen is "redrawn". Think of it as turning on a off a light. Your eyes can easily detect below 60Hz. Even at that frequency you will tire more easily. The higher the rate the easier on the eyes. LCDs are on all the time, they don't flicker. The response time is how fast they can change from one color to another. That is where pixel response comes into play. You see a "ghost" image because the pixels do not change fast enough. If you have different facts please share them. I don't think I am wrong (in this one instance), but I am always open to the possibility.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
i think you're right, refresh rates ineed in a CRT denote how fast an image on teh screen is redrawn. (hence the name, refresh rate) a higher refresh rate will be less tiring because your eyes, although you don't know it, trace the refreshes, and that is what tires them out. a higher refresh rate will refresh so fast that your eyes can't trace them, and therefore get less tiring.

ALSO! a higher refresh rate will eliminate that high pitched scream that some CRT's put out when their refresh rates are too low. i had one in my school, i thought my head would explode everytime it got turned on..

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
The refresh rate goes from top to bottom of the screen.

If you look to the side of your monitor at a refresh rate of about 50herts, in your peripheral vision, you can see it flicker. Your peripheral vision also detects light better.

The reason Video Camera's (not professional as they have flicker free, soem technology that i dont know how it works) Flicker, is becuase your camera records at 25fps (Pal) or 29.95fps (NTSC), the shutter speed of the cmaera captures the screen during the refresh. With 100herts rehresh rate there is no flicke ron camera's as it ussually syncs it self up dpending on your shutter speed and fps (PAL or NTSC).

Hope thats helped someone with something

1 - 9 of 9 Posts