Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well folks, im turning 16 around this month and i have a feeling i can grab some freebees from my folks, i wanna see what upgrades would make my system specs nice, i game alot, fold, try to get some good clocks in. currently on my list is a Gigabyte 6600GT for a entry level sli setup, what other upgrades in your opinions would make my system up to spec.

oh yea forgot to add, i want to get a new mouse, i was lookin into the Logitech G5 but someone told me it has problems with FEAR. any good mice i should look into?

·
Registered
604 Posts
The OS -- It's less... gimpy than Home. That's my preference but I fix computers for a living so what do I know... I was partly kidding though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol kk, well my current list

1: Gigabyte 6600GT
2:Razer Copperhead Mouse
3:Aftermarket Aircooling. prolly the big typhoon

·
Registered
604 Posts
Check the measurements of your case to make sure the BT will fit... If not you can go with the Cooler Master Hyper48 (like I did). I'm thinking of replacing the fan on it but it works great.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by u.c.i.n.e.x.

well folks, im turning 16 around this month and i have a feeling i can grab some freebees from my folks, i wanna see what upgrades would make my system specs nice, i game alot, fold, try to get some good clocks in. currently on my list is a Gigabyte 6600GT for a entry level sli setup, what other upgrades in your opinions would make my system up to spec.

oh yea forgot to add, i want to get a new mouse, i was lookin into the Logitech G5 but someone told me it has problems with FEAR. any good mice i should look into?

I would not purchase another 6600GT for SLi as you will be most disappointed.

Two 6600GT's in SLi will give only just over half the performance of a single 7800GT. I would say offer your existing 6600GT up for sale and go for a single 7800GT or evn a 6800GS.

cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
you could also replace your 4 sticks of 512 RAM for 2 I gig sticks. You will get a better OC with them and you wont get a bad divider forced on you. You would also be able to run them in 1T instead of 2T wich is about 10% faster. Overall your whole systerm will run faster. It would cast about $190 for two good 1 gig sticks.

Next I would spend the $50 for a good air cooler. Together you will see a huge improvement in overclocking ability pluss you will be able to run the RAM at 1:1 with your FSB. You might see a 30% increase in performance over all with these two upgrades and all for under $300.

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Whats the benefits of XP Pro over XP Home? If you repaired computers you might know what a Microsoft VAR is. I was a VAR for 9 years and had ample opportunity to study both OS's. Where are the benefits? If he's on a network or wants a more robust remote access system then, yes its better. Otherwise XP Home actually has less service overhead running.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
If you don't connect to a domain, then you don't need XP Pro. Don't worry about upgrading the OS. Get an X-Fi. It wins time and again over any other audio solution.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i like the idea of the 7800GT and the RAM and i know, my performance would boost greatly, but how would i sell 4 sticks of OCZ Platinum ram and 6600gt?

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by u.c.i.n.e.x.

i like the idea of the 7800GT and the RAM and i know, my performance would boost greatly, but how would i sell 4 sticks of OCZ Platinum ram and 6600gt?

Umm you could sell here or the other option of ebay (which would give you most likely a higher sell price)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts