Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im building a new gaming rig right now and im thinking about getting a ssd.
first, will installing the OS (windows 8) on the ssd make it boot and run faster?
second, what size should i get?
i want to put the os on it and maybe my top 3 games if it fits
so id probably be putting windows 8, battlefield 3, arma ii (dayz, lol) and guild wars 2. would this fit on a 80gb? or should i go for a 120gb
i already have a seagate barracude 750gb HDD.
also i would really like if someone told if i would see increase in performance if i installed the os on a ssd.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Depends how many games you intend on storing on it. If like me, I hate having to uninstall games just to make space for a new one, only to reinstall the old game because i missed playing it. I gave in and bought a 512 samsung 840 pro!

·
Registered
529 Posts
120gb at the least. I thought I could get away with an 80gb drive. Nope. Now I have the 80gig drive + a 128, and I still ran out of space. You run out of space faster than you'd think. If I were you, I'd go with a 256gig drive. On sale, you can get them for around $160, so they aren't that much more expensive
thumb.gif

·
Registered
917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouGotJaked View Post

120gb at the least. I thought I could get away with an 80gb drive. Nope. Now I have the 80gig drive + a 128, and I still ran out of space. You run out of space faster than you'd think. If I were you, I'd go with a 256gig drive. On sale, you can get them for around $160, so they aren't that much more expensive
thumb.gif
Same I would suggest somewhere with a 256gb. Like Windows as it stands takes up about 40gb. Now u stack on all your necessary programs plus BF3, arma ii, and Guild Wars? Ure really pushin it on a 120gb (Isnt BF3 like 30gb or something??). I currently use an 80gb, no games on it, and i have windows plus all my primary programs. And i still run out of room but i download quite a bit and forget to empty the download folder
tongue.gif

Either way, any size SSD, in my opinion isnt enough. I would add in another HDD just in case.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey!
I wish I had W8 to tell you directly-but I have 3 machines,all W7.
ALL have Windows on SSD.
My GOSH!
Even my STARTER 80GB X-25M Sata II in my first rig made such a difference.
I saw a million recommendations(and followed Sean' Guide here on OCN)
to go with a smaller SSD for the OS and a few games, with an HDD for the rest..
I really got nervous(and saw a performance drop)when I had used more than 50% of C: that way.
I then started splitting up stuff & moving things around, eventually using like 80GB for JUST OS,
using 120 GB SSD for programs-I even tried 2 120's in Raid 0 for e:games(no diff really)
Then I got more games...
Then using either WD CAV Black 1TB,or Seagate Momentus XT 750GB for e: games,etc.
That works fine for most folks.
I would whole heartedly recommend new SSD,as big as you can afford.
Steam Mover(look it up in storage forum) will let you move stuff on/off SSD as you need.
I understand & feel OK now, using a fast 240GB as OS drive,a smaller 120GB for programs and HDD for games is a good balance...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouGotJaked View Post

thumb.gif
i think il try and get a 120gb. il just be putting windows 8, arma ii and the dayz mod and all the bf3 maps and game. that's what ill be playing the most.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomik9274 View Post

i think il try and get a 120gb. il just be putting windows 8, arma ii and the dayz mod and all the bf3 maps and game. that's what ill be playing the most.
You could always start out with a 120 for OS and some games for now, and then down the road get a dedicated 256gig drive for games. Just a thought...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think 120GB should be around enough to store what you want. I'd go with a 120GB then install the rest of your applications and games that you won't be playing as much on another HDD.

Sent from my Nexus 4 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
at least 256gb. anything less than that will last you about 2 years. i went from 64gb to 128gb. and now looking for a 256gb.

and i'm not even a real gamer. i have one game installed and it (and audio programs and sound banks) take up pretty good chunks of the 128gb. a 256gb ssd should anyone a while.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

240gb's is a nice round number, and AFAIK the price per GB is cheaper past 120 these days.
I agree 240-250 is the way to go. Assuming you're in North America they go on sale in the $150-200 often. Even If you don't get the Samsung 840 pro blah blah blah, It will still blow the doors off any mechanical drive. If you already plan on buying a 120gb for $100+ plus shipping taxes etc, Why not double capacity for $50?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts