Overclock.net banner

Is my motherboard a good choice?

• Yes definately!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Not good at all! - Recommend in the thread please ;)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So im about to do a major upgrade and its seems an SSD is basically required to get the best performance. Just incase, i'm getting an MSI Z77-GD65 and i5 3570k as well as Corsair Vengeance 8GB ram

I am looking at something like the Corsair Force 3 60gb or 120gb. I am new to SSD so have no clue on brands and what not.
I plan on using it for OS and programs (maybe a few games?). Which is better, 60gb or 120gb. As you know, SSD's are expensive and i don't want to be wasting money on a size i don't need.
Also, i'm not 100% sure on the model but the best model for the price range of the Corsair Force 3 would be great. There is a Force GT but im not sure if it is worth the extra $30 (i believe it is faster memory or something).

Thanks anyway,
Joshua

·
Registered
524 Posts
People might say 60GB is enough but trust me, it isn't. Go get the120 GB version

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

·
A.K.A. Droptimus
2,288 Posts
I've heard the new samsung 830 is quite good.

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
Performance-wise the Samsung 830 takes the crown, but you cannot beat the performance per dollar of the Crucial M4 (check amazon prices).

64 GB may be enough if you use your PC for light gaming and surfing the net, but if you want to load big games like BF3, SCII, Skyrim on the SSD, go for a 128 GB SSD. I did and i'm happy with my choice
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Crucial M4. I have the 64GB version but I'd go with the 128GB. Best SSD you can get, dollar for dollar.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djankie View Post

People might say 60GB is enough but trust me, it isn't. Go get the120 GB version
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Right on, I got the 128gb and still wasn't happy. Managed to grab a 256gb off of amazon today for 199 and am selling my 128.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua1396 View Post

i don't want to be wasting money on a size i don't need
Trust me, you will not be wasting money by going bigger. For games it's awesome with much much faster load times, and you need to keep in mind that the bigger the drive the faster it is.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
intel, crucial M4, samsung 830
and Plextor is another great SSD
i also agree that go for 120-128GB depending on the drive
smile.gif

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Quote:

Hey guys,
So im about to do a major upgrade and its seems an SSD is basically required to get the best performance. Just incase, i'm getting an MSI Z77-GD65 and i5 3570k as well as Corsair Vengeance 8GB ram
I am looking at something like the Corsair Force 3 60gb or 120gb. I am new to SSD so have no clue on brands and what not.
I plan on using it for OS and programs (maybe a few games?). Which is better, 60gb or 120gb. As you know, SSD's are expensive and i don't want to be wasting money on a size i don't need.
Also, i'm not 100% sure on the model but the best model for the price range of the Corsair Force 3 would be great. There is a Force GT but im not sure if it is worth the extra $30 (i believe it is faster memory or something).
Thanks anyway,
Joshua
60 GB is nothing. either got for a 120gb or dont buy one. Im sorry but thats the truth.

M4 $125.00: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

I would go for the M4 since its the cheapest right now. $125.00

·
Registered
134 Posts
M4s are often on sale at great prices i think u can get the 256 gb version for $199 somewhere or maybe that was last week. Im on my phone otherwise I'd check pretty sure the 128 gb version was $99 last week may have been after rebate though.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I'd say go for one of the Crucial M4s instead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So it's obvious that the crucial m4 is the way to go in 128gb. It seems that the crucial has something like 175 mb/s while the corsair has something like 450 mb/s. how does that work? Does it mean it will be a lot slower in reading? Any more info on the crucial sad would be great! Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:

So it's obvious that the crucial m4 is the way to go in 128gb. It seems that the crucial has something like 175 mb/s while the corsair has something like 450 mb/s. how does that work? Does it mean it will be a lot slower in reading? Any more info on the crucial sad would be great! Thanks
the best performance measurement is actually the 4k r/w shown in IOPS. Crucials may not be the fastest but very reliable
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierowheelz View Post

The corsair has a sandforce controller which is known for it's high failure rates. The samsung 830 and crucial M4 use in house controllers and are much more reliable, the M4 is cheaper, but the 830 is better.
by better he means faster, the m4s arnt any less reliable. i would ge with a crutial m4 128gb if you have the money. i would suggest atleast 90gb of space. sandforce dosnt always = bad. intel uses them, kingston, corsair isnt unreliable by any means. its just that there have been many firmware problems (witch didnt effect intel, who uses patched firmware) and the biggest sandforce maker, ocz, has had drives failing right left and center due to poor build quality. sandforce is like amd - certin lines can be good budget options. if you have the money, there is no reason to not go for an m4 or 830.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts