Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am about to setup raid 0 i was wonder what Stripe size i should use the raid 0 is manly for gaming

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdub998

may I ask why?

I tried 16k for a bit, but load time for windows and other large apps. seemed longer, 128k seems to load windows and games faster IMO.

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
yeah my 128k i read up on is better for loading larger files such as games and windows. The only bad thing about it is if you have say a picture file or any other file smaller than 128k itll take up a whole 128k stripe. So if you have smaller files use 16k if not use 128k

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaWaxShop

The only bad thing about it is if you have say a picture file or any other file smaller than 128k itll take up a whole 128k stripe. So if you have smaller files use 16k if not use 128k

Sorry, but that is not true. You don't lose that extra space.

I am running a 16K stripe also.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
I just moved onto RAID, Crash recommended me a 32k stripe so thats what I used.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

I don't see anything in that article about losing extra space from a block of data?

oo i didnt mean in there that was just for him to read over. Im not saying im right i just thought i read it somewhere once

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaWaxShop

oo i didnt mean in there that was just for him to read over. Im not saying im right i just thought i read it somewhere once

Ah, I see.

Yeah, you get full use of all hard drive space when running a striped raid array.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts