Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My overclock is stable in every stress test, for about a month.

After a certain amount of time, things start to get unstable: Prime95 fails within an hour, Linx can't even do 5 passes without an error.

At first, I thought I was seeing degradation.

But after resetting BIOS settings, and then load up my OC profile, things get stable once again for 5 or 6 weeks, and then the same thing happens.

What the hell? Are my BIOS settings slowly getting "corrupted" somehow? lol

I laugh because this is really weird.

This happened a couple of times already.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
When you say the overclock is stable in every stress test, which stress tests are you performing, and for how long each? Concerning LinX, what Problem Size are you using (how many megabytes of memory)? How many runs?

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
When you say the overclock is stable in every stress test, which stress tests are you performing, and for how long each? Concerning LinX, what Problem Size are you using (how many megabytes of memory)? How many runs?
Prime95 Blend for 12 hours.

Linx 7000 MB 50 Passes. (defined by me to be consistent because maximum available RAM varies a lot).

I don't think this is the issue here, anyway.

The problem is that after some time, it will start to fail (prime in less than an hour generally, and linx somewhere between 5 to 20 passes).

If I reset my bios settings, and load up my OC settings afterwards, everything is stable again for the amount of time reported above, which I consider to be enough.

It just seems to slowly become unstable, and then, when I reload my OC settings, everything is good again.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
wow that is really weird. have you tried just going into the bios and saving, no reset?

also, that Q9550 has more than 3.7

·
Fly on the wall
2,432 Posts
Have you done a re-flash of your bios?

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
wow that is really weird. have you tried just going into the bios and saving, no reset?

also, that Q9550 has more than 3.7

The Q9550 has much more than 3.7ghz to give, but not my mobo

And it only becomes stable again, if I first load default settings and THEN load my OC settings.

Strange ***** indeed :/

Maybe my BIOS "leaks" lol

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicProne View Post
Prime95 Blend for 12 hours.

Linx 7000 MB 50 Passes. (defined by me to be consistent because maximum available RAM varies a lot).

I don't think this is the issue here, anyway.

The problem is that after some time, it will start to fail (prime in less than an hour generally, and linx somewhere between 5 to 20 passes).

If I reset my bios settings, and load up my OC settings afterwards, everything is stable again for the amount of time reported above, which I consider to be enough.

It just seems to slowly become unstable, and then, when I reload my OC settings, everything is good again.
I have a very odd question: does your motherboard verify the "DMI pool data" each and every single time it boots? Or, does it only do it once at the time you first boot up after reloading the overclock settings?

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

I have a very odd question: does your motherboard verify the "DMI pool data" each and every single time it boots? Or, does it only do it once at the time you first boot up after reloading the overclock settings?
Now you got me stumped :/

I never get to see anything on my boot sequence, I just get an asus screen and jump straight to OS loading.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Quote:

I never get to see anything on my boot sequence, I just get an asus screen and jump straight to OS loading.
go into BIOS > boot settings config > Full screen logo show > Disabled

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Oh, then disable the Full Screen Logo Show (or whatever this particular BIOS calls it).
hehe

But yeah, it's just something I thought of because I recently discovered that with MY motherboard, having Quick Boot enabled means that the motherboard never, ever, ever, ever verifies the DMI pool data which also means that I can't use the Windows Experience Index, I can't see certain information in the Motherboard tab of CPU-Z, and Vantage can't run benchmarks due to being unable to see my system's information (there are other things, but this is long enough already).

The result was that I learned what this "DMI pool data" is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop...ment_Interface), and it leads me to believe that if it's not verified each boot, then a system's stability may degrade over time - perhaps due to things like driver updates and whatnot. This DMI pool data verification is like a quick detection of all of the hardware in just a span of like 2-3 seconds. So by disabling Quick Boot and forcing the motherboard to verify the DMI pool data each boot, this remains fresh which may keep a system stable - especially for the way people like us use our computers.

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:

Oh, then disable the Full Screen Logo Show (or whatever this particular BIOS calls it).
hehe

But yeah, it's just something I thought of because I recently discovered that with MY motherboard, having Quick Boot enabled means that the motherboard never, ever, ever, ever verifies the DMI pool data which also means that I can't use the Windows Experience Index, I can't see certain information in the Motherboard tab of CPU-Z, and Vantage can't run benchmarks due to being unable to see my system's information (there are other things, but this is long enough already).

The result was that I learned what this "DMI pool data" is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop...ment_Interface), and it leads me to believe that if it's not verified each boot, then a system's stability may degrade over time - perhaps due to things like driver updates and whatnot. This DMI pool data verification is like a quick detection of all of the hardware in just a span of like 2-3 seconds. So by disabling Quick Boot and forcing the motherboard to verify the DMI pool data each boot, this remains fresh which may keep a system stable - especially for the way people like us use our computers.
What he said makes alot of sense. it happend to me

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337LutZ View Post
What he said makes alot of sense. it happend to me

Whoa, so wait: do you mean that disabling Quick Boot fixed it? I mean, this is still just a theory due to my recent discovery today (which was actually discovered by PapaSmurf).

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Whoa, so wait: do you mean that disabling Quick Boot fixed it? I mean, this is still just a theory due to my recent discovery today (which was actually discovered by PapaSmurf).
I went into my BIOS, and Quick Boot was Disabled, and I also disabled my LOGO screen, and in fact my BIOS was doing that DMI pool data thing all along.

I guess that just leaves me more in the dark :/

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Crap. Back to the drawing board.

• Rep+
Reactions: PanicProne

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Crap. Back to the drawing board.

It just has to be the BIOS. I have the latest official ASUS bios.

Somehow, the settings are drifting way from their values (my guess) and becoming unstable, until I reset them and OC again.

Vcore isn't the cause, because CPU-Z reports the same over and over.

Maybe it's the GTLs or the VTT (the volts that actually matter when OCing a quad)

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
What do you do to reset the settings?

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

What do you do to reset the settings?
I do "Load default settings", and then "Load OC profile".

Everything is good again once I do this.

The time I start getting instability isn't very linear. I it seems to vary between 4 and 6 weeks.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could it be be related to the battery? I don't know, if just stumps me!

How can everything be perfectly rock solid, and after a few weeks things get shaky? And then, once I "reload" my OC settings, everything is fine again?

It doesn't sound like degradation, or overclock instability in itself because that would be apparent from the get go, right?

It's gotta be something fishy about the BIOS settings. Maybe they "drift"?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

I do "Load default settings", and then "Load OC profile".

Everything is good again once I do this.

The time I start getting instability isn't very linear. I it seems to vary between 4 and 6 weeks.
In the manual for the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P, it says that loading the optimized defaults forces the motherboard to re-detect all of the hardware. So, wth? lol If it's verifying the DMI pool each and every boot anyway, then..... wow. I'm confused now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Have you double checked all values in the BIOS are correct after things start getting unstable? Just to be sure that they aren't randomly changing themselves.

You could also try completely clearing CMOS and inputting all of your CPU overclock values again.

If that doesn't work then maybe try doing a re-flash.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts