Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I usually use AS5...but I am starting to have my doubts about it now. Should I use the Noctua thermal compound? I saw somewhere that it dropped by a degree when overclocked...every degree counts IMO.

That and what if I didn't put enough AS5 on..should I try putting a bit more on? because the last time I reseated it I saw that it had like barely any contact between them.

Thanks and have a good day.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You know, it might be worth reseating it or seeing if the paste has dried up, depending on how long ago you applied it.

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
AS5 while good thermal compound is no longer the best.

I prefer OCZ Freeze, Shin-Etsu X23-7783D, and IC7. OCZ Freeze is the most affordable and easily found of those, and IC7 the best performer AFAIK.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post

I prefer OCZ Freeze, Shin-Etsu X23-7783D, and IC7. OCZ Freeze is the most affordable and easily found of those, and IC7 the best performer AFAIK.
I was gonna use Tx-3..Oh welll.. How easy does ocz freeze go on and how well does it cooler compared to the noctua and the as5

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
1. Indigo Xtreme (expensive...$10/application)
2. Shin Etsu X23
3. IC7
4. OCZ Freeze

• Rep+
Reactions: bk7794

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post

Out of those, Shin Etsu is the best. MX-3 is nearly on-par, though, and a better value.

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bk7794 View Post
I was gonna use Tx-3..Oh welll.. How easy does ocz freeze go on and how well does it cooler compared to the noctua and the as5
TX3 is supposed to be pretty good. no need to run out and buy new paste if you've already got good stuff laying around.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
I personally would go with OCZ Freeze because it doesn't require any curing time, and its quite inexpensive. Shin Etsu seems to be the top performer, but expensive.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckaz
View Post

I personally would go with OCZ Freeze because it doesn't require any curing time, and its quite inexpensive. Shin Etsu seems to be the top performer, but expensive.

yeah..but I can't find it anywhere...I may try the noctua stuff before I do it just to try it on my quad.

http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/m...noctua-nt-h1/4

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Can you find MX-3 or ICD 7? They're nearly as good as Shin Etsu.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat
View Post

Agree with everything he said. I love IC7, and it doesnt break down over time like other TIM's do.

·
Registered
799 Posts
the noctua and the mx-3 both are advertised as have no curing times as well, but that isn't always accurate. I would go with the noctua, but really I think the deciding point should be benchmarks, and availability. I mean, most of them are priced roughly the same, so just look at the benchmarks. I would just see which one has the lowest temps when OC'd, and that has no curing time, and then see if I can find it anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bk7794
View Post

hows ocz freeze..Im going back to long island in February and I wanna know if its worth it..you think?

It's pretty good, probably one of the top 3

1 - 20 of 61 Posts