Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bk7794
View Post

hows ocz freeze..Im going back to long island in February and I wanna know if its worth it..you think?

http://indigo-xtreme.com/images/skineelabschart.jpg this proof that as5 is worse than the white stuff

LOL @ the use of cheese
MX-3 and a whole bunch of thermal pastes (but nothing from Shin-Etsu) are easy to find from NCIX and I find MX-3 is the best in terms of ease of use, availability and price....if it's on sale, however the older MX-2 counterpart is great too and might be cheaper.

• Rep+
Reactions: bk7794

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

Those 3 are all good, though the X23 linked is the best of them.

so this is the one to buy? ok...now how is the installation? Is it hard?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

LOL @ the use of cheese
MX-3 and a whole bunch of thermal pastes (but nothing from Shin-Etsu) are easy to find from NCIX and I find MX-3 is the best in terms of ease of use, availability and price....if it's on sale, however the older MX-2 counterpart is great too and might be cheaper.

I was considering it

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Quote:

View Post

so this is the one to buy? ok...now how is the installation? Is it hard?

A pea-sized drop in the center of the CPU's IHS, and that's all.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Dangit, I should have asked before picking up the AS5. XD

Will be installing the stuff tomorrow, so I guess I can always switch it later.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quote:
thanks for the chart rep.

Quote:

View Post

A pea-sized drop in the center of the CPU's IHS, and that's all.

Should I spread it right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomer
View Post

Dangit, I should have asked before picking up the AS5. XD

Will be installing the stuff tomorrow, so I guess I can always switch it later.

haha I was so happy I didn't. good luck. AS5 works so you should be fine.

·
Registered
799 Posts
the way I apply it is a pea sized drop in the middle, and then wrapping a plastic baggy around my index finger I spred it out a little, then moving down the CPU, I spread it horizontally until I reach the bottom of the CPU, then I spread it vertically until I reach the top of the CPU, then I spread it horizontally etc. until I get as thin a layer as possible while still having the whole CPU covered. The point of this is to make the layer as even as possible by spreading it both ways (horizontally and vertically) and, to make the layer as thin as possible to allow the smoothest and quickest transfer from the CPU through the thermal paste and to your heatsink. The plastic baggy is so that the natural oil on the human finger does not touch and thereby negatively effect the compound.

I take off thermal paste by wetting a Q-tip with isopropyl alcohol, and then gently removing the thermal paste using the Q-tip. You have to change q-tips a few times, but its no big hassle

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckaz View Post
the way I apply it is a pea sized drop in the middle, and then wrapping a plastic baggy around my index finger I spred it out a little, then moving down the CPU, I spread it horizontally until I reach the bottom of the CPU, then I spread it vertically until I reach the top of the CPU, then I spread it horizontally etc. until I get as thin a layer as possible while still having the whole CPU covered. The point of this is to make the layer as even as possible by spreading it both ways (horizontally and vertically) and, to make the layer as thin as possible to allow the smoothest and quickest transfer from the CPU through the thermal paste and to your heatsink. The plastic baggy is so that the natural oil on the human finger does not touch and thereby negatively effect the compound.

I take off thermal paste by wetting a Q-tip with isopropyl alcohol, and then gently removing the thermal paste using the Q-tip. You have to change q-tips a few times, but its no big hassle

is this for what TIM?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I use that for the AS5

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Should I spread it right?

No. Just a pea-sized drop in the center, and let the heatsink spread it. Doing it manually (like the above-mentioned method) carries the risk of introducing air bubbles, which you don't want. Even if you don't see any bubbles when spread manually, there is still a chance they're there.

I don't find the above chart that accurate either, since ICD 7 and NT-H1 have been consistently beaten by Shin Etsu X23 in nearly every other test I've seen, including (and especially) user tests.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I like ocz freeze, The only downside, It's hard to spread and it sticks to like ziplock bags when you use it to try to spread

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Quote:

View Post

No. Just a pea-sized drop in the center, and let the heatsink spread it. Doing it manually (like the above-mentioned method) carries the risk of introducing air bubbles, which you don't want. Even if you don't see any bubbles when spread manually, there is still a chance they're there.

I don't find the above chart that accurate either, since ICD 7 and NT-H1 have been consistently beaten by Shin Etsu X23 in nearly every other test I've seen, including (and especially) user tests.

Alright. Thanks. Rep. Ima reseat with my noctua stuff for now to see if it helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Use the TX-3, it's harder to apply, almost like gum, and will take half the tube to get enough, but it will provide lower temps if applied correctly.

·
Registered
865 Posts
When I bought my Megahalems it came with Prolimatech's PK-1 thermal compound. I was wondering if that is any good or not? I haven't noticed anybody mention it as much as Arctic Silver 5 or OCZ Freeze so that's what sparked my curiosity.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meta-Prometheus
View Post

When I bought my Megahalems it came with Prolimatech's PK-1 thermal compound. I was wondering if that is any good or not? I haven't noticed anybody mention it as much as Arctic Silver 5 or OCZ Freeze so that's what sparked my curiosity.

its probably like my noctua stuff..decent enough to perform average but can be better

21 - 40 of 61 Posts