Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IDK when gtx1080 released, or what ever the latest AMD is.

Any new gen expected this fall from either ?

What might a $200-250 card be like compared to 980 /970/ r9 280x ?

·
Wampa Stompa
444 Posts
I honestly am not looking forward to next gen, the amount of money GPU's are starting to cost is mind blowing. All these people mining crypto-currency have driven any decent GPU's price sky high. I fear the affordable gaming PC might be a thing of the past.
But to answer your earlier question, I've read that Volta is to release mid 2018.
As for the second question.. I doubt anything next gen in the $200-250 range will be that amazing as prices are only rising.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
The GTX 1080 came out almost two years ago. Prices are only high right now because supply hasn't kept up with demand. It's hard to blame Nvidia because they know they have another series launching in the coming months. If they flood the market to help keep prices down, eventually things swing the other direction and retailers will have to slash prices far below MSRP just to get rid of stock. Not sure why everyone is panicking things prices will never normalize again. Crypto is down about 66% since peaking around New Year's. If crypto continues trending downward, video cards become less attractive mining tools as it will take too long to break even. I didn't realize this was a difficult concept for so many to grasp.

Nvidia will release the first cards for their next series this summer sometime. Many believe the GTX 1180 and 1170 will be announced either May or June and released the following month. I would be surprised if MSRP is drastically different than the cards they replace. For reference, MSRP is $379 and $599 for the GTX 1070 and 1080 respectively. The GTX 970 had an MSRP of $329 and the GTX 980's was $549. If the GTX 1170 and 1180 have MSRPs of $429 and $649 respectively, the performance will probably justify it.

As for something new in the $200 to $250 range, you'll have to wait for the GTX 1160 or 1150 Ti. The GTX 1160 should be comparable to the GTX 1070 and GTX 1150 Ti should be comparable to a GTX 1060. At least this is how the last few series have shaped up.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah this summer, I read the release date wrong. In Canada I paid 1100 for a 980 ti, I sold it recently, miss her already

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
It's all still rumored, nothing confirmed. I thought the 11 series would have been announced in January and released in February. Then I thought it would be announced in March and released in April. They will announce them at some kind of convention or expo along with release dates and MSRP. I believe the GTX 1070 and 1080 were announced in Austin, TX during the same weekend as Dreamhack two years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts