Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i currently have a Thermaltake Chasar MK-1 case with 3930k CPU, and i want to water cool it, i dont really want to build a custom cooling system, since i dont want to put to much time into it.. So i want to get one of those corsairs already built kits, i wanted initially to go with h220 but amazon doesnt sell them (i have a $150 gift card from them, so want to buy it there)

Now any recommendations on which one should i get?

Sig system is old, will update soon

·
Premium Member
7,733 Posts
A H110 or H100i would be a safe choice if that's the sort of thing you want to go for. Although that chip would benefit from a custom loop!

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
If you are will to wait a little bit, I'm sure Amazon will start selling them eventually since it was just released and are out of stock most places. If not, the H110 or H100i would be a good choice as Crooksy mentioned.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Check out the XSPC Raystorm kits. It comes with everything you need to get your CPU under water. It's also very expandable so you can add a GPU and another radiator down the line if you choose. I'd go with a RX240 kit if you have enough room in your case for a thick radiator or an EX240 kit if you need a thinner radiator

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by morencyam View Post

Check out the XSPC Raystorm kits. It comes with everything you need to get your CPU under water. It's also very expandable so you can add a GPU and another radiator down the line if you choose. I'd go with a RX240 kit if you have enough room in your case for a thick radiator or an EX240 kit if you need a thinner radiator
Cool thanks... well if i did change my board (http://www.overclock.net/t/1368178/best-board-for-3930k) to the RIVe i would have to replace my case as well and get one that supports a eATX board, so i could just buy a case that supports water cooling.. Now is the larger the better? like RX360 better than the RX240? Better as in better cooling capabilities

btw my room temp is around 24C most of the times.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Yes, the RX360 will be able to dissipate more heat than the RX240. Or you can run the fans at a lower speed on the 360 and be able to dissipate the same amount of heat as the 240 at high fan speeds. The more rad space you have the more cooling power and the more potential it has to be silent. I currently have a 480 and 240 to cool my CPU and SLI GPUs. I could probably get by with just the 480, but adding the 240 allowed me to run my fans at a lower speed which in turn made the whole system quieter.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Yes, the RX360 will be able to dissipate more heat than the RX240. Or you can run the fans at a lower speed on the 360 and be able to dissipate the same amount of heat as the 240 at high fan speeds. The more rad space you have the more cooling power and the more potential it has to be silent. I currently have a 480 and 240 to cool my CPU and SLI GPUs. I could probably get by with just the 480, but adding the 240 allowed me to run my fans at a lower speed which in turn made the whole system quieter.
is it worth it going higher than 480 for CPU only?

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Not really. Even a 360 is a bit overkill, but it's nice to have the head room to be able to overclock more and run the fans slower. But having the 480 initially for CPU only will allow you to add a GPU later on without having to buy another radiator.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
According to this review from Martin's Liquid Lab, the h220 is only slightly better than the XSPC rs240 kit. So it's probably a safe assumption that the RX360 will be better by a few degrees C than the H220

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

According to this review from Martin's Liquid Lab, the h220 is only slightly better than the XSPC rs240 kit. So it's probably a safe assumption that the RX360 will be better by a few degrees C than the H220
Cool so i guess im between http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_202_972&products_id=34963 and http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_202_972&products_id=33549

right?

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
^ The second one has newer stuff but is significantly more expensive.

BTW, I don't see what's worth in changing from a P9X79 to a RIVE, unless there's something particular that you need.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
I'd definitely go with the second one. The D5 is a much better more reliable pump than the 750. The D5 is also a variable speed pump so you can lower the speed to reduce noise as well. The D5 really isn'y a loud pump to begin with though. I have mine on speed setting 4(out of 5) and I still can't even hear it over the fans

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

^ The second one has newer stuff but is significantly more expensive.

BTW, I don't see what's worth in changing from a P9X79 to a RIVE, unless there's something particular that you need.
still not sure if i want to spend the extra $200 on it (i have to change it since a Sata port is bad) but unsure if i want to go with it, or with another board like the ST, or go asrock

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

I'd definitely go with the second one. The D5 is a much better more reliable pump than the 750. The D5 is also a variable speed pump so you can lower the speed to reduce noise as well. The D5 really isn'y a loud pump to begin with though. I have mine on speed setting 4(out of 5) and I still can't even hear it over the fans
So that for $300 is the best i can get for my 3930K, any ideas if it will fit on my current case?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also if i wanted to get that same kit from amazon it would go like this:

http://www.amazon.com/XSPC-Reservoir-Combo-Includes-Vario/dp/B008RCERWA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1362589553&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=D5+Vario+Pump
http://www.amazon.com/XSPC-RX360-Performance-Radiator-5060175580795/dp/B0028AI89U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362589439&sr=8-1&keywords=XSPC+RX360
http://www.amazon.com/XSPC-Raystorm-Block-Intel-Socket/dp/B005T01B54/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362589629&sr=1-1&keywords=XSPC+raystorm

So thats $300 with out the fittings and fans.. So a bit more expensive but can use my amazon giftcard

umm Maybe i can contact Sidewinder Computers and see if they would match performance pc if i buy those 3 items in amazon

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
I'm not too familiar with that case, but looking at pictures it looks like is has the ability to put two 200mm fans in the top? If that's true then a 360mm radiator should fit up there. The only other concern then is if there are screw holes to line up with the three 120mm fans
This Alphacool kit looks like it would be good too. I'm not sure on the performance of the CPU block, but the radiator is one of the top performers on the market right now.
You could also get away from a preconfigured kit and piece together a loop yourself. The kits are nice for first timers though since everything you need comes in the kit and you don't have to worry about missing one thing or another when piecing together a loop.

·
Dazed and Confused
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermiguel View Post

How does the EX rank?
I'm getting ready to use a EX 240 and a Multi port EX 360. But here is a good Round up

1 - 20 of 28 Posts