Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out I have roughly $500 from last Christmas and I was wondering if I should buy another 7800GTX and hook up SLi or buy another GB of RAM and a X-FI sound card? I think I heard somewhere that its harder to OC 4 sticks of RAM instead of 2. Is this true?

EDIT: Do you think my Antec TrueControll II 550-watt PSU can handle 2x7800GTXs ?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by napkin

I found out I have roughly $500 from last Christmas and I was wondering if I should buy another 7800GTX and hook up SLi or buy another GB of RAM and a X-FI sound card? I think I heard somewhere that its harder to OC 4 sticks of RAM instead of 2. Is this true?

EDIT: Do you think my Antec TrueControll II 550-watt PSU can handle 2x7800GTXs ?

I would go for the ram and Xfi but if you already have 2 sticks I would sell those and just buy a dual channel 2gb kit.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats wrong with 4x512mb sticks. Wouldnt that be better? I heard somewhere that 4 sticks was bad for overclocking and I heard something about 1T and 2T timings, but I would think 4 sticks of 512 would be better because of lower timings. Also 512 sticks OC better than 1GB sticks so would 4 sticks of 512 OC worse and why? Is it power stability issues?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Well my 1gb gskill stick has 2-3-2-5 timings... Thats pretty low. They sell a dual channel kit of that. You just stress the memory controller with 4 sticks and it can make it harder to OC. I am pretty sure you have to run 2t if you oc the ram anyway.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya i thought with 4 sticks it has to be 2T. What does T mean and why is 1T better than 2T?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
2t is roughly 2-5% slower... But if you OC that won't matter because you will make up for it with the overclock.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I'd go with a second GTX and run SLI. Your PSU should definately be able to handle it. I'd recommend getting the 7800 at Newegg for $445 and putting saving the rest for a 2GB kit of good RAM.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I would imagine that 4 sticks the timing would be a little more difficult. 2 7800GTX is not necessary, you can run the best of the best games with the absolute best graphics. No need to push for more, but RAM would be the choice.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Runing 4 sticks of ram forces a 333 divider, and taxes the memory controller more.
I would get the Xfi with a 2gb kit if posible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts