Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've managed to save $200 over the past few weeks, but I'm not sure what I should upgrade. I don't want a new sound card, but maybe some more/better ram?

Not too sure..suggestions?

·
Premium Member
20,531 Posts
Better ram or a western digital raptor as a primary drive.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by emonster

save it?

yeah, sounds like a good plan

hope to get a pci'e video card soon so maybe i'll put it towards that

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchc05

Hi all,

I've managed to save $200 over the past few weeks, but I'm not sure what I should upgrade. I don't want a new sound card, but maybe some more/better ram?

give it to me!!!

pm me if you need shipping instructions...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjnt

give it to me!!!

pm me if you need shipping instructions...

lol...

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
You could more than double your storage capacity with that, I see ads for 300GB drives for $200 or less in the paper every weekend. I don't know how you live with only 200GB. I have 830GB spread across my various machines, probably about 60-70% utilized. Granted that a lot of that is backups, but that's nice to have for when one of your disks fails. And it will happen to you someday. (On that note, you could get a tape drive for backups...)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanDragon

You could more than double your storage capacity with that, I see ads for 300GB drives for $200 or less in the paper every weekend. I don't know how you live with only 200GB. I have 830GB spread across my various machines, probably about 60-70% utilized. Granted that a lot of that is backups, but that's nice to have for when one of your disks fails. And it will happen to you someday. (On that note, you could get a tape drive for backups...)

thats a good idea..I just bought this drive because my old 160 failed on me about 2 months ago.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchc05

Hi all,

Definatley, try some G.SKILL, I personally think since the 7800GS is coming out for AGP you should sell your X850 and use the money towards a 7 Series.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, a 7 series card would be nice...the ASRock mobo has a pci-e slot as well as agp so I would get it in pcie

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I would get a better mobo...or you could go get a premade watercooling kit....the Bigwater is on sale for 100 USD @ Compusa....

Also.....who really uses all that space in a non HTPC? I know i never would....lol, even htough i have 800 GB available....lol....i wanna hit a terabyte just for the heck of it, but i will prolly get a 3rd 400GB and set it up in RAID 5.....or just get a Raptor to put my OS on....

·
Premium Member
20,531 Posts
wow, vulcan thats a lot of storage. I have a 74 gb raptor and a 36 raptor in my second rig and both are about half full. What the heck are you storing that requires almost a terabyte of storage? I have all my crucial data for my rigs backed up on half a dozen dvd's. On my main rig with 74 gb I have 5gb of music and pictures as well as maybe 20gb worth of games loaded and anotheer 15 gb of programs. If I ripped every dvd movie I have into my hard drives then I can see having 350 movies at 4.7 gb each could be an issue, but why store them electronically? Especially when I can get 16x Maxell + R's for about $.30 each?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
You can find a used 21" crt for that price. Once you use one, you'll never want to use anything smaller again. There's a huge difference between 17" and 21". If you don't believe me, use one for a few hours. As far as "upgrading" to a 7800gs, it's supposed to be around $350 and not that impressive.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTYx

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Go for some ram.. You can get a gig of gskill pc3200 w 2-3-2-5 for $110 shipped from the egg.. then you still have some money left over..

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
Get some better ram, a big typhoon, some as5 and a 100+ cfm fan and oc that cpu!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
i would say buy a big typhoon or a zalman 9500 right now to overclock that CPU to at least 2.8Ghz,

then save the rest and start building it up for a 7800 series, or maybe even an X1900XT, since those are priced well right now compared to the 7800GTX and GTX 512Mb.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
I say wait for the directx 10 cards to come out this fall before upgrading your video card.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
i think i may wait for 7900s to come out...but i'm not waiting until the DX10's come out.....DX 9 will still work for quite awhile.....and just dandily....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts