Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a bit of an odd question but what do you guys do with blocks that have either corroded or whos plating has flaked? I've since replaced my EK supreme with a Raystorm and it's just been sitting around. Is there anything I could re-purpose it for? would someone actually buy a defective ek waterblock?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo23451 View Post

you would have to remove the nickel plating completly. Ek was accepting returns I believe on the blocks effected but you had to do that with a given time period.
Pretty sure they will still take returns within their 2 year warranty.

At least that's what I remember.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecrtAgentMan View Post

Pretty sure they will still take returns within their 2 year warranty.
At least that's what I remember.
From ek
Quote:
The replacement form can be filled in until July 31st, and starting with August 1st EK will no longer replace products with such damage as the reason of the damage will be widely known and customers still using these additives will do it under their own risk. The replacement request can also be possible only for the purchases with invoices dated up to June 12th 2011.
Full statemeant
http://www.overclock.net/t/1035356/official-ek-statement-nickel-plating-issues

·
Registered
3,476 Posts

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
If yer within two years you can rma it. Otherwise, just use it or blast it off, or strip it, or sand it off. It's only 4 microns, that's nothing. People seem to freak out but it's only superficial.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried RMAing it but here's the catch. Since my block came with a full EK watercooling kit, and said kit included instructions that suggest I use their included anti corrosive additive/dye they told me that they have the right to refuse my RMA... I tired reasoning with them but no dice.

here's a pic of the block, it's the plexi version.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post

I tried RMAing it but here's the catch. Since my block came with a full EK watercooling kit, and said kit included instructions that suggest I use their included anti corrosive additive/dye they told me that they have the right to refuse my RMA... I tired reasoning with them but no dice.
here's a pic of the block, it's the plexi version.
You can get a stripper kit but it's sort of expensive in the long run. You can have that media blasted for like 20 bucks at any local plating shop. Try not to use sand as it might wear the fins out.

·
Old School
1,636 Posts
I'd say sell it at a discount, I imagine plenty of people on a tight budget would be interested, especially since it looks to be mostly cosmetic damage. I can't imagine that significantly affecting performance, and it could be a good buy for someone short on money.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakageta View Post

I'd say sell it at a discount, I imagine plenty of people on a tight budget would be interested, especially since it looks to be mostly cosmetic damage. I can't imagine that significantly affecting performance, and it could be a good buy for someone short on money.
If it is flaking it can affect the pump by damage or get stuff in other places in your loop like the gpu block for example.

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
There are a few places that are actually strip and re-plating the EK blocks at a cost. Due to the OCN TOS, I can't post a link to that site due to the competive nature between the two.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Getting a new block would be almost cheaper then service of that kind (shipping both ways, striping, custom plating, polishing, ...)
2cents.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts