Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5000 BTU air contitioner in my garage. How would i turn it into a cooling system? Reps will be given to people who post.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, its kinda hard to say where and how exactely you should place it (we dont know what your computer area looks like or how it's set-up... As well as what kind of A/C unit it is (window/stand alone...)???

But just from experience, I'd say mount it some how to an old chair/stool/milk-crate (depending on where/how high your PC is located...desk, floor, table, etc...) and place it about 5 feet from your case (with the side-cover off, and not to close to avoid condensation) and let er' rip... If you live in a relatively dry climate (or your home is 'dry' on its own), you could probably get away with it even closer...

John

·
Registered
137 Posts
It cant be any worse than my 'ghetto-cooling unit'... An 18" house-fan blowin right at my case (no cover on...)... It drops my CPU temps down like 6-8 degrees...

* pssst... rep if I did good... =)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCnerd2357
its a window one.

i might try that
well,

1) your cpu....

despite that, here is what you should do
given that your case has a front intake somewhere, if not side

mount that sucker up to the window, funnel (make one that is) the cold air directly into the comp via the front/side intake - no need to take the entire side panel off.

just make sure you condensation proof the insides....

good luck with your p3

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
cut a hole in the side of your case, get a load of cooling duct plastic tpye stuff, then turn the fan on your pc (except hsf) to expel air from the case and then pray u dont get condensation (or u could coat everything in foam)

·
Banned
4,410 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCnerd2357
I have a 5000 BTU air contitioner in my garage. How would i turn it into a cooling system? Reps will be given to people who post.

I WOULDN"T DO IT.........you have to worry about condensation building up in your case and it will and quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
use some dryer vent ducting (make a reducer for it), and then put that to your heatsink. if you have a pass-through heatsink (like the tower 112), i'd suggest making the ducting pass through the fins, then use the leftover ducting to make it go from the other end of the heatsink fins out of the case somehow. i'd suggest making it right out the side panel.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsLasher
I WOULDN"T DO IT.........you have to worry about condensation building up in your case and it will and quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last year in chemistry we used anhydrous crystals(i forget of what) to dry air going in to an experiment! you could put a lot of these in the duct from the air con to the pc chassis then condensation shouldnt b a prob -- *Edit* sodium Sulphate I think

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fumacation

phase change

If he is asking what to do with an air conditioner, I dont think he is capable of converting it to a phase change unit...

They cost 900 bucks for a reason.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Ok, why put the aircon 5 feet away. Place it as close as you can. I've put my airocn only 10cm away from my CPU withg stock HSF and i got load temps of 39C. It's a really small old airocn 2. with yours, you put it up close and put say a XP-120 on yuor CPU and temps should be about 20C. Try dismantling it to make your own config, cut the aircon case in half (width ways, across, not down the middle). When you do that you'll have a place to mount the fan and radiator (in the aircon case where it was all along). Then with vents and the other junk, try and get them right next to your case, then attach a 10cm in diamator pipe to the place where the airocn comes otu and place directly onto the HSF. Condinsation wasn't and issue with me (i live in a hot climate aswell). Your the aircon drains most of the condensation otu the back of itself so the air that cpems out is clean of water. With hot surroundign air, i think you'll be right. The CPU isn't at harm as if any condensation even got close it would just evaporate and not stick. The only thing i can imagine to be at risk is soem cold spot on the mobo, even then it would be very hard to screw your comp. I've spilt a whole tihngs of water on a PS2, didn't work, then i put it out in the sun and it worked again.

I hope i've helped and havent just bored you. I'd try it, might be a little noisy though

·
Registered
467 Posts
I once openned my case, remove the front grill of my fan, removed the panel of my case, I placed it almost touching the case, I was very mad, angry a pissed off that day!!!
It worked wonderfully, but I was pinpointing a problem, Hopefully was no overheat!!!

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I would tape/glue a cardboard box where the air comes out... cut a hole in the center

and put a little duct going from that hole to right on top of your cpu fan .. now thats it man that would be cool

not sure if condensation would occure though

·
Registered
341 Posts
I can't see that condensation would be that big a deal actually... don't AC units circulate the air in a room? and just deposit the heat outside?? If so, plug in a dehumidifier in the room... should cut it down to a minimum. then like above, a tube strait from the AC output to the HS...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts