Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has an HP 2.somthing gb comp with 512mb of PC2700(I think but might not be PC2700.). He put a 9800 pro, a DVD burner, and a new fan in the PSU as far as upgrades over the past year or two. He is starting to complain about it getting slow when he works with pix or trys to burn a DVD and multi task at the same time. I am pretty pure it is not the burner bogging on the burning. Any way the question is what to do without runing the bill up above $200 or so that would help him out? I thought maybe a 6600gt might do the trick but then again a little ram might do the trick by itslef. He is planing on a new build in a year and a halve or so which is why he wants to keep the price down and is will to put up with it if is costly to 'fix'.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
I would have to blame the mobo, bad circuits from a cheap mobo make the comp slower, the RAm can still be used on another mobo and the vid card is still good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So he should stick it out till his new build or do you think it would be advantages to get a good mobo and reuse everything?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fumacation

So he should stick it out till his new build or do you think it would be advantages to get a good mobo and reuse everything?

Truly I don't trust any propriatary parts, a new mobo would signifigantly help the system but also may seem to be a waste if he is planning a build soon. If you are looking at 1+ years until the build then the mobo would be a safe bet.

You also may want want to defrag his computer and run spyware sweeps to see it they are the main reason for the slowing on the system.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

You also may want want to defrag his computer and run spyware sweeps to see it they are the main reason for the slowing on the system.

That was the first thing he did.

I will pass the mobo advise on to him and see what he says. Thanx for the advise.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fumacation

That was the first thing he did.

I will pass the mobo advise on to him and see what he says. Thanx for the advise.

No problem, my primary goal with that system would be to get rid of everything that HP installed and the biggest of those parts is the mobo.

There are many words I don't like the worse is the P word, Propriatary. After that the others in order of worse to not as bad are eMachine, Compaq, HP, Dell then Gateway, they are all as bad a cuss words in my little world.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts