Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm building a system this weekend for my cousin, and we have a chance to pick up this combo:
http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/...-E-Motherboard

I'm loving the price but I'm a little hesitant to go with an MSI board, this system is going to be a keeper as he doesn't upgrade often, so I'm hoping to get at least a 3.6Ghz overclock as efficient as possible. Also probably going to be using a 3x2gb OCZ gold DDR3 kit, unless there are some better suggestions for a similarly priced kit> ($150-180)
Does anyone have any experience with this board or brand(s)? Any better options in the same price range?

mobo link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130226

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Bring a fire extinguisher, you may need it.

lol j/k

MSI's X58 boards are kind of meh but it should do the job just fine. MSI has REALLY stepped up their game with their 785/790/890 AMD boards and P55 boards. Unfortunately their X58 stuff came out a bit before they really got their s*** together but they still aren't terrible boards by any stretch of the imagination. It should do 3.6GHz easy.

And as for the RAM, that is a great kit as far as bang/buck goes.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Its a very good overclocker, i friend have it and he is pretty happy with it.
He did 4.3Ghz on it with i7 920.

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by liberalelephant View Post
Bring a fire extinguisher, you may need it.

lol j/k

MSI's X58 boards are kind of meh but it should do the job just fine. MSI has REALLY stepped up their game with their 785/790/890 AMD boards and P55 boards. Unfortunately their X58 stuff came out a bit before they really got their s*** together but they still aren't terrible boards by any stretch of the imagination. It should do 3.6GHz easy.

And as for the RAM, that is a great kit as far as bang/buck goes.
The MSI Eclipse Plus is an amazing x58 board, but they are not made anymore as far as i know. I am lucky enough to have one

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by oliverw92 View Post
The MSI Eclipse Plus is an amazing x58 board, but they are not made anymore as far as i know. I am lucky enough to have one

Yea that was okay. Tons of awesome features but it was a bit tricky to work with (from what I've heard from reviews, may have been fixed w/ better BIOS). I think it isn't for sale because they are updating their X58 lineup....which should be freaking awesome.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm going to go for it, I will follow up this weekend or next with the results

1 - 6 of 6 Posts