Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, do the android based tablets coming out have the same capabilities as the droid phones (minus not being able to make outgoing calls when no wireless is present?)
Questions on Tablet:

Code:
Code:
If not, what are the restrictions? 
If so, couldn't you just use skype when you have wireless? 
If so, would this finally be a droid you can buy and not get a dataplan with?
What I want:

Code:
Code:
customizable interface, so yes I will root if phone.
Facebook, email, pandora/last.fm, 
listen to music easily enough, 4gb minimum.
connect to pc: view desktop, remote desktop
Note taking:

Code:
Code:
preferably with touch drawing as well, preferably with zoom in/out.
ie can take notes through keyboard, as well as draw notes/equations for classes.
Zoom out for full page, zoom in and draw a quick equation, then zoom back out to pull page.
Would be nice to have, but not necessary:

Code:
Code:
sync with pc, view desktop, keyring app or variant..
Dont really need but would be a plus:

Code:
Code:
games, movies

·
Registered
818 Posts
Dont mean to hijack your thread, but I just really want to compliment this guy. This is a perfect question, laid out great, and easy to understand. I really wish more people would follow your steps,
Kinda offtopic I know but I just couldnt help but notice

also mi ftw

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Highfive shamer, thanks. I'm very behind when it comes to phones atm.
I'm rocking some 6 year old phone right now that was my sisters as mine died some time back.

sidenote: would be nice if there was a droid FAQ or something at the top of the page

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark $ View Post
First, do the android based tablets coming out have the same capabilities as the droid phones (minus not being able to make outgoing calls when no wireless is present?)
Questions on Tablet:

Code:

Code:
If not, what are the restrictions? 
If so, couldn't you just use skype when you have wireless? 
If so, would this finally be a droid you can buy and not get a dataplan with?
There are two "classes" of tablet. There is the one class, the "oversized phone" if you will, such as the 5" streak and the 7" Tab. They have all the hardware and software abilities of any other android, including phone, and unfortunatly, with data plan (unless you buy the huge off contract price, which is ~$600 for streak, and it looks like $800+ for the Tab).

Then there is the "barebones" tablet, as in, it has all the hardware, but 3G radio (and maybe no gps and such). These are not supported by google with android 2.2 (2.2 requirements include cellular radio) so will not have the official market, though most times you will be able to hack it on. These however, do not require data plan. A great example of these are the new Archos tablets. They look great, and even the 10" one only costs $300 with some nice hardware, but no official market unless hacked on.

As for skype, that was ruined by verizon. They made a contract with skype, so for a while at least, you are only able to get skype on verizon phones, and it will only make data calls over verizon network (not even when connected to wifi). However, since your talking about droid phones, I imagine your on verizon.

Quote:
What I want:

Code:

Code:
customizable interface, so yes I will root if phone.
Facebook, email, pandora/last.fm, 
listen to music easily enough, 4gb minimum.
connect to pc: view desktop, remote desktop
Any of that can be done with either device type, all in the apps you find, and any android device has 8GB+ really, and microSD support. Remote desktop might be nicer on a tablet, but you can only stream on something with a data plan when not under wifi obviously, so that leads to a subsidized tablet, or a phone.

Quote:
Note taking:

Code:

Code:
preferably with touch drawing as well, preferably with zoom in/out.
ie can take notes through keyboard, as well as draw notes/equations for classes.
Zoom out for full page, zoom in and draw a quick equation, then zoom back out to pull page.
That should be doable on both, just find an app, but again, a bigger screen is a huge boon in this case. I'm assuming your a student? If yes, pretty much any time your taking notes, I imagine is under wifi.

Quote:
Would be nice to have, but not necessary:

Code:

Code:
sync with pc, view desktop, keyring app or variant..
again, both, just with the apps. Though I can see a potential issue with keyring trying to make the barcode fill the whole screen on a tablet.

Quote:
Dont really need but would be a plus:

Code:

Code:
games, movies
Both, but again, the bigger screen comes into play as being nicer. Though some games controls might be designed for a small screen, and hard to reach with a larger one.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, so basically the tablets are the phones but larger while the barebones are not supported through the droid app market (which kills them imo).

I probably won't get a tablet though if they also require a data plan, unless there is a note taking app that I describe where you can zoom in to draw/write something or write something then scale it to a smaller size.

Currently I'm looking at the fascinate for phones since it seems to be pretty awesome although I'm not a fan of bing and hope that will be worked around soon. Any reasons you recommend against the fascinate?

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark $
View Post

Thanks, so basically the tablets are the phones but larger while the barebones are not supported through the droid app market (which kills them imo).

Exactly, although there is no droid market, it is the android market (droid is a phone, interchanging the two gets confusing fast
) However, the past suggests that hacking the market onto a tablet should definitely be possible.

Quote:

I probably won't get a tablet though if they also require a data plan, unless there is a note taking app that I describe where you can zoom in to draw/write something or write something then scale it to a smaller size.

I know there are drawing/writing apps that zoom.

Quote:

Currently I'm looking at the fascinate for phones since it seems to be pretty awesome although I'm not a fan of bing and hope that will be worked around soon. Any reasons you recommend against the fascinate?

Only reason I recommend against the fascinate is bing. Verizon hacked andoid apart, and kind of pasted bing on. You can kind of paste google back on, but even with that, I wouldn't support the dumb decision, and go Droid X.

I own the captivate (and love it) which is the same basic phone as the fascinate, but with true google. Without that, I don't know that I'd want to buy it and support that decision.

• Rep+
Reactions: mark $

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
Exactly, although there is no droid market, it is the android market (droid is a phone, interchanging the two gets confusing fast
) However, the past suggests that hacking the market onto a tablet should definitely be possible.

I know there are drawing/writing apps that zoom.

Only reason I recommend against the fascinate is bing. Verizon hacked andoid apart, and kind of pasted bing on. You can kind of paste google back on, but even with that, I wouldn't support the dumb decision, and go Droid X.

I own the captivate (and love it) which is the same basic phone as the fascinate, but with true google. Without that, I don't know that I'd want to buy it and support that decision.
Gotcha, well that seems kinda backwards for a google OS to be forced to use their opponents search engine... would be like windows 8 (or w/e) being locked into using safari or chrome for internet browsing.. I'll look into the captivate then thanks again E_man, and I think I'll also look for a draw/writing app with zoom and play with it on my sisters X and see if it's usable on such a small surface.
+rep for you, engineer is credit to team!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump, this says Archos tablets will all run on 2.2? Does that mean I'll have availablility to all apps on the android market?
I'm a student so I really don't want to have to raise my monthly bills if I can help it..

Ah, did another search and I see what you mean now. No gps, no cell radio = no google supported apps/app market even though it is running Android 2.2 OS.
too many things named android or variations! Android = OS, and the app market? droid = phone.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark $ View Post
Bump, this says Archos tablets will all run on 2.2? Does that mean I'll have availablility to all apps on the android market?
I'm a student so I really don't want to have to raise my monthly bills if I can help it..
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Arc....html#comments
No, it won't have access to the market stock. For archos, I have little doubt the market will be ported though. I'm definitely looking at those myself

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
No, it won't have access to the market stock. For archos, I have little doubt the market will be ported though. I'm definitely looking at those myself

Thanks for the quick response, I think I'll talk to my bro in law (he works at verizon) and see if he knows anything more about these tablets and if they have one I could toy around with at the store.

I think my plans are thus:
Wait about a week or two after Archos release, if app market easily hacked on then buy that.
If not, suck it up and buy a fascinate as long as I can afford that stupid data plan which I will have to look at my income and bills again...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts