Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide on a new monitor to get to increase my gaming experience. But I don't fully understand all the terminology that monitors entail. I know that an LED monitor gives off a better color so I know at least I want a LED monitor. What other stats should I consider when comparing monitors other than sheer size?

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
LED, 1080p, DVI and HDMI, that sort of thing
wink.gif

Even a good LCD TFT is a good choice.

High contrast ratio is also good. (Not dynamic contrast).

like, 10:000 to 1 or higher is a good starting point. (Again, not dynamic. Avoid dynamic, unless you get the same screen as me, which was an excellent dynamic contrast,

·
@knightsbr1dge
1,568 Posts
A few points to take into consideration:

If looking at a 1080p monitor (1920x1080 for example), stick to a max size of 24". 1080p at 27" will give you far less pixel density than 1080p at 24". This is because the number of pixels are the same (1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels) but are being spread over a larger area (24" compared to 27") so the pixels will appear "bigger".

Aim to get something with a low response rate (in the region of 2ms should be fine)

120MHz refresh rate will make the whole gaming experience appear smoother as well, so take that into consideration

Hope this helps
thumb.gif

·
WaterCooler
4,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydros View Post

Bull**** 1920x1080 27" inch is great for gaming.
Thredstarter
Look for a 1920x1080 120Hz display!
Choose the size you want.
Be very careful for not buying a 16:10 display (16680x1050, 1920x1200). They are crap for gaming.
Maybe you just have a crap video card?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydros View Post

Bull**** 1920x1080 27" inch is great for gaming.
Thredstarter
Look for a 1920x1080 120Hz display!
Choose the size you want.
Be very careful for not buying a 16:10 display (16680x1050, 1920x1200). They are crap for gaming.
Maybe you just have a crap video card?
Aspect rartio does not affect pearformance.

I am talking about to get great field of view and avoid a letterbox. Thats why you must buy a 16:9 monitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view_in_video_games

·
Registered
143 Posts
Lower the response rate the better. I recently upgraded from 2x24" 1920x1080 to 2x27" 2560x1440 monitors. I personally like how things look at the 2560x1440 resolution much more than 1920x1080.

LED monitors will consume less power and are usually thinner than regular LCD.

Other than that --

Make sure the monitors have plenty of connections such as multiple DVI inputs, HDMI, etc (if you're going to be using them). I have more than one computer sharing monitors so it was important for me to have multiple video inputs.

Height and rotating adjustments were also an important factor in my decision.

Then you can get into the aesthetics of monitors too. Gloss vs Matte finish for the bezel. Gloss vs Anti-Glare for the screen itself, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
what games do you play? 120Hz monitors only benefit if you run the game at a constant 65 FPS+.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Mainly just look at the resolution, size, and the refresh rate, connectivity, stand options, whether it has VESA mounting, what comes in the box, etc. Those are the reliable stats. What you can't base your purchase on is advertised response times, contrast ratios, backlight type (LED), viewing angles, brightness, etc. Aside from the backlight type, those stats are usually not accurate, and the backlight type is most of the time not relevant enough to justify a purchase.

Other than that, read reviews and user reports, reviews, if detailed and done well, will give you an idea of how it will perform, and user reports will give you an idea of any potential minor or major issues that are common with the model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

LED, 1080p, DVI and HDMI, that sort of thing
wink.gif

Even a good LCD TFT is a good choice.
No... Just.. no.

LED is not a new panel technology to go alongside LCD, LED is just a backlight type, just like CCFL was in "LCD's".

Second, LED doesn't guarantee a good display. In fact, it's a bit bad to rely on that, since the panel itself has more signifance than the backlight type. The benefits of LED backlight are in the possiblity of a thinner display, less of a redish tint from the backlight after years of usage, and being energy efficent, though that shouldn't be a major concern due to monitors not really taking up that much power. Other than that, LED backlight is just something mostly used in lower end panels these days, many higher end IPS / VA panels use CCFL backlighting because LED is limited to sRGB, while CCFL can extend quite a bit beyond that, allowing for wider gamuts. RGB-LED backlighting, however (only used in a handful of displays) is expensive, but

In short, LED = LCD.

DVI and HDMI, you only really need one digital connection that is compatible with your GPU and can run the resolution / hz combination of the display, unless you need more external device connectivity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

High contrast ratio is also good. (Not dynamic contrast).

like, 10:000 to 1 or higher is a good starting point. (Again, not dynamic. Avoid dynamic, unless you get the same screen as me, which was an excellent dynamic contrast,
Advertised contrast ratios, even static ones, are far from what the display can actually do. They are not to be relied on. One can look up those stats, as well as the individual black depth, and related brightness of white on the same settings as well as contrast stability and tons of other stats related to contrast on reviews of some of the most popular monitors.

10 000 : 1 would be spectacular for LCD. Even if the specifc TN panel advertises that, it most certainly doesn't reach that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not to thread jack, maybe it could even add a little insight but what is an ideal size, so many to choose from, anywhere from 19-30 inches, which is the best in screen size/(proximity/eye comfort) ratio

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
Hydros, just so you're aware, when I find some spare time, I will be collecting all of your ignorant posts and posting them somewhere in Offtopic for all to see. Maybe if they see yourt idiocy all in one place it will become more apparent about how little you know, yet still act like you know it all. I am being serious, people like you have ruined this site's usefullness.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson View Post

Hydros, just so you're aware, when I find some spare time, I will be collecting all of your ignorant posts and posting them somewhere in Offtopic for all to see. Maybe if they see yourt idiocy all in one place it will become more apparent about how little you know, yet still act like you know it all. I am being serious, people like you have ruined this site's usefullness.
This^
Wow! I have a 16:10 display and get not letter boxing if you set the software properly.
I was going to mention this, but I guess you took care of it for me!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-bum View Post

This^
Wow! I have a 16:10 display and get not letter boxing if you set the software properly.
I was going to mention this, but I guess you took care of it for me!
I have a 16:10 display as well, and as previously stated Hydros has no idea what he's talking about. I've had absolutely no issues in any game with letter boxing in the 6 years of owning my 16:10 aspect ratio monitor; yes I do get black bars when watching the majority of HD content I download as it usually has a 16:9 aspect ratio, but I don't mind them at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts