Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Are you looking to buy a TRUE for your current system? Because I think some more memory would be a better investment.

• Rep+
Reactions: Alex9106

·
Registered
695 Posts
Second thread on this today..

regular and black true about the same (both aluminum)

copper true is more efficient, but also more expensive and heavier.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Lapping the HS surface makes it flat for better contact.
I've had several Thermalright heatsinks and all were not flat.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex9106 View Post
Hmm well the black looks nicer but im not sure lol =/

oh and ive also been hearing about some mods to make the true perform better, i dont know what the mods are though =/
First off you need to Lap it

then do this mod

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex9106 View Post
Ah ok thanks alot guys oh one more thing, sorry, but what fans do you all recommend i use with the TRUE?

thanks once again
Get a 120mmx38mm thick fan with a high static pressure, a San Ace 1011 a good choice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
if you have a window on your case with lots of colorful stuff, the black is quite pretty. So is the copper, but if your computer is vertical you should worry about the Cu True (though people use them without many issues, i wouldn't want to pick up the cpu and carry it around with that thing tacked on.)

I don't really reccomend a TRUE unless you have a quad core computer. Some people might argue with me about that, but the cheaper noctua will run quite nice on a dual core cpu and allow a lot of overclocking. The true really shines after tons of after-purchase modifications on a power hungry and hot cpu.

• Rep+
Reactions: Alex9106

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
If I remember correctly they designed the TRUE not to be flat. (don't quote me on this) Also remember that there is a chance that lapping just the TRUE could be a bad thing. If your CPU is not flat could make contact with the HS even more uneven.

As far as which one? I had the regular and the Copper and would say the the regular will be just fine.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killerhz View Post
If I remember correctly they designed the TRUE not to be flat. (don't quote me on this) Also remember that there is a chance that lapping just the TRUE could be a bad thing. If your CPU is not flat could make contact with the HS even more uneven.

As far as which one? I had the regular and the Copper and would say the the regular will be just fine.
I could see a bit of light along opposing edges and could feel the slight rocking motion when a IHS was set against it.
CPU IHS not flat... never seen one yet that wasn't near perfect.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex9106
View Post

Ah ok thanks alot guys oh one more thing, sorry, but what fans do you all recommend i use with the TRUE?

thanks once again

The Scythe S-Flex fans are really nice. Long durability and relativly silent.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
just get a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and save a bundle

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
the black also has an extra set of fan clips unlike the normal - so it's actually around the same price as the original + extra set of clips...

apparently the black also has a slightly flatter base... but since you would still be lapping it, it really makes no difference.

it's really a case of whatever floats ya boat, or your wallet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts