ASUS P5Q-E, P45
4x2GB kingston hyper x 1066 DDR2
ASUS GTX 770 OC 2
ASUS VW221 22inch
SSD: Kingston SV300 S3 - 120gb
HDD: SAMSUNG HD501LJ 7200rpm
Western digital green 2TB
FSP Hyper M 700W

Hi world! I would like to ask you what CPU and Mobo would you recommend for me as best bang for buck upgrade from this already zombified, rotting corpse LGA 775 system.
My budget is something little over 200 dollars, can be exceeded a little, cause i need 8gb ddr3 ram also but they are super cheap. Im already thinking about i5-2500k and some decent overclocking friendly and supportive MOBO. Im curious if there would be actually something better budget wise. If so i have only one condition, cpu must be intel and be overclockable. Thanks

·
What should be here ?
5,734 Posts
What applications or areas are you struggling with your current system ? I'd hold out for atleast year end as AMD and Intel is launching new platforms that are going to be great (AMD's would be anyways). You have a great chance of getting a quad or hex core setup that performs much better than the old SB platform.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the price is all what dictates how to upgrade for me. And im struggling right now in the performance of video games.

·
What should be here ?
5,734 Posts
Your current setup should still be able to play most modern games at high or med-high settings. Could you say what games give you trouble ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well im trouble with maybe half games i play mostly AAA titles, DOOM, Fallout 4, Company of Heroes 2 even starcraft 2, all these games just cant run on ultra or high settings on 60fps even when big mess occurs.

·
What should be here ?
5,734 Posts
i would rule out CoH and Starcraft as they require better IPC which since you're on an decade old platform is understood. Doom is the latest games which things uses that your 770 may not be able to handle. I'd consider dropping settings to compensate from frame rate. Fallout4 is a junk game in terms of performance compared to things you see on screen. You could drop the godrays setting to low and claim back 100% of your fps without noticing any difference.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Youre not right with fallout 4, i tried it playing on lowest settings with 1280x800 resolutions and at particular cpu heavy scenes i had only 5 frames better score, i agree performance wise it is junk but if i want to play that junk and i really want i just would need to upgrade cpu, im not responsible that engine developers are dummies, my cpu is antique and also in wolfenstein new order: it hits 100% while my gtx 770 is doing well on 70% on ultra, as for DOOM 770 does fairly good on high but cpu is already on 100% in battles, so its unplayable when it drops to 35fps, i just need serious cpu upgrade.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurabsal92 View Post

Youre not right with fallout 4, i tried it playing on lowest settings with 1280x800 resolutions and at particular cpu heavy scenes i had only 5 frames better score, i agree performance wise it is junk but if i want to play that junk and i really want i just would need to upgrade cpu, im not responsible that engine developers are dummies, my cpu is antique and also in wolfenstein new order: it hits 100% while my gtx 770 is doing well on 70% on ultra, as for DOOM 770 does fairly good on high but cpu is already on 100% in battles, so its unplayable when it drops to 35fps, i just need serious cpu upgrade.
I see you're from Slovakia, any sites or stores from there you can link you can purchase from so we can piece together an upgrade for you?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAslanX View Post

I see you're from Slovakia, any sites or stores from there you can link you can purchase from so we can piece together an upgrade for you?
Well im not buying new parts only used ones cause parts im looking for arent already selling and costs maybe 2 times more as same parts just from second hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts