Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm figuring that I should get a UPS that can handle at least the max draw of my PSU (from the wall of course), plus the monitors. This way I have some room to play with. And I need at least 10 mins runtime, and sine wave output (thereby implying a regeneration of power or isolation transformer, and a voltage regulation system). CRTs are pretty sensitive to ground loops and noise (the picture starts to shake), and my monitors do it once in a while so I think something the neighbors have running - maybe their fridge or something - is messing things up for me.

My PSU is a Corsair 1000Hx - so let's say at 80% efficiency, it'll draw a max of 1250W from the wall. Each of my 3 monitors is rated for 170W max (printed on the back, I never actually measured them). I will also be adding 3 more monitors (LCDs) - 3008WFP (250W rating), and two random anything I can find (let's guess 100W each).

So that gives a total of 2210W.

What's a good, quality UPS that'll power all of this and not break the bank?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak
View Post

I'm figuring that I should get a UPS that can handle at least the max draw of my PSU (from the wall of course), plus the monitors. This way I have some room to play with. And I need at least 10 mins runtime, and sine wave output. If it's possible to get one that's both 120V/240V, that would be great. But not necessary.

My PSU is a Corsair 1000Hx - so let's say at 80% efficiency, it'll draw a max of 1250W from the wall. Each of my 3 monitors is rated for 170W max (printed on the back, I never actually measured them). I will also be adding 3 more monitors (LCDs) - 3008WFP (250W rating), and two random anything I can find (let's guess 100W each).

So that gives a total of 2210W.

What's a good, quality UPS that'll power all of this and not break the bank?

I don't have the answer but holy crap, that is a lot of juice you're in need of.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vbp6us
View Post

I don't have the answer but holy crap, that is a lot of juice you're in need of.

I know, and I'm not finding anything under $900

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
You might be best off if you decided if the power ever went out, you could turn off 4 or 5 monitors. Cut your needs from 2210 to 1500 assuming you keep the 30" on. Might save you some serious $$$

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man
View Post

You might be best off if you decided if the power ever went out, you could turn off 4 or 5 monitors. Cut your needs from 2210 to 1500 assuming you keep the 30" on. Might save you some serious $$$

Hrm...I could do that I think.

Ok so then, what's a good 1500W one?

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I don't think that there is anything powerful enough that won't break the bank. I'm pretty sure mine is a 750w UPS and it can only run my rig and monitor for 4min. That's with my rig running 100% load and allegedly drawing 710w.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
You rig won't be pulling 1250W or even 1000W; it would be hard pressed to pull 300W. Treat it as a 400W draw.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by noobclocker1277
View Post

could you use 2 psu's?

Unfortunately, nope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

You rig won't be pulling 1250W or even 1000W; it would be hard pressed to pull 300W. Treat it as a 400W draw.

I know. And the 30" LCD won't pull 250W either, it does an actual 165W-ish at full brightness with a white screen.

But you have to take two things into account. First, is that this isn't the only configuration my rig is going to be in. Fermi is almost out, and if it's not as powerful as speculations are I'll be getting two 5970s - that'll put it pretty close to the PSU's limit (I've been waiting for months now to find out which GPU to get). The second is capacitor aging - over time, the power draw from the wall will be greater and greater, even if you don't change a single thing.

So I want to give myself as much room to play around with as possible.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwgti
View Post

http://www.buyupsonline.com/ great place for quality refurbs, APC perfect 10 certified. Ive done a lot of business through this site and dont have a single complaint. Look towards the APC Smart units.

This site is awesome, they've got a 2250W/3000VA unit for $380. I don't think it can get any better than that

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaxel
View Post

Will you show us a picture?

When I buy it you mean? Of course

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I know, I'm off topic. I'm just curious what you are going to do with all of those monitors...

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nazster14
View Post

well you can get FEDEX if you don't like UPS but I generally go for 3 day shipping.

He is talking about power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had 2 of the bigger apc products that both went bad in under a year. Also, I think you could get away with running multiple ups units and not just one huge one to save money. I personally have 4 cyberpower units that I have used for over 3 yrs and I have not had one fail yet. Check this out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-095-_-Product
Those do 900 watts and are aprox $400 a piece shipped.

Or you could look at this 900watt one for $175 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-048-_-Product
Use this one for the computer system and buy one of the $400 ones with the better voltage filtering for the devices that pick up interference. You can definitely use the cheaper one on the computer and then you'd only be out $575 for both. Just because your psu can draw that much power, it only uses as many watts as it needs. I am running a 800 watt psu and a dell 24" LCD widescreen monitor and it is only drawing 207 watts at the moment using the $175 cybermax. When I am really pushing the system with something like call of duty modern warfare, it still pulls less than 400 watts including the monitor. I am running an ATI 5770 and a q6600 oc'ed to 3.0ghz and three 1TB HD's

Swami

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaxel View Post
I know, I'm off topic. I'm just curious what you are going to do with all of those monitors...
It's always easy to fund a use for another monitor

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaxel View Post
The three CRTs are for gaming (with eyefinity of course), and the 3 LCDs would be for everything else.

I'm currently using the CRTs for everything, but they're starting to get dark (meaning that they're nearing the end of their lifespan), and I want to prolong their death as much as possible. Gaming on them is just awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamibob View Post
I have had 2 of the bigger apc products that both went bad in under a year. Also, I think you could get away with running multiple ups units and not just one huge one to save money. I personally have 4 cyberpower units that I have used for over 3 yrs and I have not had one fail yet. Check this out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-095-_-Product
Those do 900 watts and are aprox $400 a piece shipped.

Or you could look at this 900watt one for $175 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-048-_-Product
Use this one for the computer system and buy one of the $400 ones with the better voltage filtering for the devices that pick up interference. You can definitely use the cheaper one on the computer and then you'd only be out $575 for both. Just because your psu can draw that much power, it only uses as many watts as it needs. I am running a 800 watt psu and a dell 24" LCD widescreen monitor and it is only drawing 207 watts at the moment using the $175 cybermax. When I am really pushing the system with something like call of duty modern warfare, it still pulls less than 400 watts including the monitor. I am running an ATI 5770 and a q6600 oc'ed to 3.0ghz and three 1TB HD's

Swami
First: Like I said twice already, I know I'm not drawing the full 1kW just because the PSU says it. I simply want the room to play around if I ever need it (like if I put in two 5970s, and/or get a dual-CPU system later on, and allow for capacitor aging). So 900W on the PC is really cutting it close.

Second: Getting multiple UPSs is a good idea, I like it
. However, neither of those units have a pure sine wave output, so neither will ensure a clean CRT display.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts