Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k well i was wondering what goes in this slot because all i know is that RAID cards go in there but my mobo has one already built in....

can sound cards and stuff go in there?

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chim3ra

http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstatio.../g550_pcie.cfm

I don't believe there are still too many products out that are made to use the x1 slots yet. Above is an video card designed to run on a x1 slot.

Well all PCI-E is backwards compatible, you can put a x16 card in a x1 slot, it'll just run like crap. You can also put a x1 card in a x16 slot, but again, no point (I am not responsible if someone kills something by trying this, only just read it somewhere). I've heard of network and disk drive controllers for PCI-E x1, nothing else. New sounds cards and such will probably start using it. But you also have to ask "what uses regular PCI any more?" Basically disk drive and network controllers.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Well all PCI-E is backwards compatible, you can put a x16 card in a x1 slot, it'll just run like crap. You can also put a x1 card in a x16 slot, but again, no point (I am not responsible if someone kills something by trying this, only just read it somewhere). I've heard of network and disk drive controllers for PCI-E x1, nothing else. New sounds cards and such will probably start using it. But you also have to ask "what uses regular PCI any more?" Basically disk drive and network controllers.

And sound cards

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh ok thx guys, it would be cool to use up that slot (i'm the kind of person who has to use every feature on something i get)

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
I could build you a card to plug into that 1x slot that would do nothing but emit a loud beep every 5 seconds. That would fill the slot up!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I'm pretty sure pci 16x cards can't go in a 1x slot. Cards can use buses bigger though. So a 4x card could go in a 4, 8, or 16x slot.

PCI-e is obviously taking over as the video card interface, but I think it will be a while before regular PCI slots are totally eliminated. There just isn't a need for any more speed for most PCI devices. Things like Video and Raid cards can utilize it, but not much else, not yet anyway. It'll be interesting to see exactly where express goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts