Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've been making a few new threads lately, but I like to ask questions!

For a venice 3500+, I've been reading that above 1.5v can fry it, but other people claim not. Which am I supposed to belive?

I idle at about 38 C and load about 40 C at stock clocks, 1.4v. Are these relatively high anyway?

Need any more info to help?

Also my RAM, BH-5, I cannot get a damn temp sensor anywhere near them... My mobo can support a max 3.2v, but what sort of voltage can I get through them before they get fried (With no cooling, I can't fit any fans near them, HSF blocks anything around the cpu)?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
The only "Safe" voltage is left at stock. However, IMO, voltages upto and including 1.65v rarely cause problems. The more you raise the voltage though, the lower the life expectancy of the CPU.

With the Ram, I'd say you're okay with decent airflow. I had my old VX Gold at 3.4v for ages without any cooling directly over them.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
the cpu can handle close to 1.65-1.7v. I wouldn't recommend going that high until you truly understand overclocking and what you need to be monitoring.
It's always good to keep an eye on your load temps. To have a 38c idle and 40c load, that seems very strange...how are you monitoring your temps? Those cannot be accurate.
And as far as your memory, I'm not familiar with the NF3 ultra-D and the options in the bios, but most DFI boards can be modded or have a jumper switched to allow close to 4v vdimm.
BH-5 memory needs 3.2v+ to start getting to where it likes to run. Sure it will get hotter, but make sure you really have BH-5 before putting 3v+ into it..any other memory will fry with those volts...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Running up to 1.6V on air is fine, 1.7V if you are water cooled. But more importantly, you have to be sure to have adequately cooling.
As long as your load temps don't exceed 50*C, you'll be fine. For your ram, BH-5 needs a lot of voltage for it's best overclock, many BH-5's voltage sweet spots approach 3.7v. Your max of 3.2V may not even be enough to run them at their full potential, however, i do believe their is a method for unlocking higher voltage options. Just be sure to have some kind of heat spreaders on them, if you pump more than 3.2V as BH-5 chips can get very hot.

edit:beat me to it lol

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
On that RAM, I would look to see what the OEM limit is in case you fry it, OCZ has a limit of 2.8V to replace but if you go higher than 2.8 and they find out they wont replace it, not sure what GeIL has. Keep the RAM to 2.8V or 2.9V depending on the rating.

Raising the CPU voltage above 1.6V would be for extreme OC'ing, your average everyday user doesn't need to go gonzo unless you are that kind of person. Typically a good 20-25% increase is ample enough for everyday use to give a little jump on your system

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I moniter temps by getting 100% load for at least 20 minutes, and then restarting and instantly going to the temp section in the bios. Whats so strange about the temps, not enough gap beteen the two? I was thinking dodgy sensor.

It is defintley BH-5 as far as people are telling me... It will not run at CAS 3, and the code on the back is 1243, so it should be BH-5... And the chips have nice shiney heat spreaders erauman!

You sure about 1.65-1.7? I've read a few things that say otherwise especially with venice cores, but I suppose I can trust you!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorLCA

On that RAM, I would look to see what the OEM limit is in case you fry it, OCZ has a limit of 2.8V to replace but if you go higher than 2.8 and they find out they wont replace it, not sure what GeIL has. Keep the RAM to 2.8V or 2.9V depending on the rating.

Raising the CPU voltage above 1.6V would be for extreme OC'ing, your average everyday user doesn't need to go gonzo unless you are that kind of person. Typically a good 20-25% increase is ample enough for everyday use to give a little jump on your system

TCCD ram is not the same as BH-5. TCCD ram doesn't respond well at all to much more than a .2V increase over stock. Whereas BH-5 will get you close to DDR600 at cl2 timings, but they'll need 3.5ish volts in the process.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lozza

I moniter temps by getting 100% load for at least 20 minutes, and then restarting and instantly going to the temp section in the bios. Whats so strange about the temps, not enough gap beteen the two? I was thinking dodgy sensor.

It is defintley BH-5 as far as people are telling me... It will not run at CAS 3, and the code on the back is 1243, so it should be BH-5... And the chips have nice shiney heat spreaders erauman!

You sure about 1.65-1.7? I've read a few things that say otherwise especially with venice cores, but I suppose I can trust you!

You won't be able to run 1.65-1.7V with a safe temp on air cooling for anything other than a suicide run...for everyday use you'll need better cooling for that. And your load temps should be more than 2*C higher than your idle temps. Run a program like superpi, and motherboard monitor 5 to check your load temps.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
ok that explains it, the bios isn't a good place to measure Idle temps...your cpu is usually around 75-80% load in the bios....use a program called "speedfan" to monitor your loads and idles, as well as fanspeeds, temperatures, and voltages....very popular program.
Most chips can honestly run higher than 1.7v, but I wouldn't go over 1.6v for now until you become more familiar with your setup and it's capabilities..
If your memory is truly BH5, start at 3v, and work up from there. Take a look thru your DFI manual and check if there is a jumper that can be switched to allow more vdimm.
My board goes to 3.2vdimm default, and moving a jumper allows 4v.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I use speed fan too, says the same thing. I'll have a look for these jumpers, I'll find them somewhere! Thanks for the help! (Isn't 4v a bit much without cooling?)

EDIT: I just noticed this in speed fan... Core 1: 1.4v
Core 2: 1.65v

I only have 1 core? What is the second readng for?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
4v is too much, but you want to start at 3 and work up to probably 3.4 maximum until you get better cooling.
As far as your temp readings, the second core is most likely your chipset or NF3 voltage...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts