Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title.
What will be the next HEDT processor and when is supposed to be released?

Is there some info on it's architecture?
Will we see 600USD CPUs with 40 lanes or it will be like skylake-x?

Will we see good single thread performance like the 8700K or better?

Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Cascade Lake X will be the next HEDT. We might see Intel sell their XCC variants if Threadripper 2 also offer more cores.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Cascade Lake X will be the next HEDT. We might see Intel sell their XCC variants if Threadripper 2 also offer more cores.
More likely they add another "row" of cores to the HCC die. XCC is on completely different socket, i doubt they would introduce that one in non-server market.

Anyway, IMO, Threadripper 2 (this year´s version) will boast just better clocks and whatnot, but another core increase wont come until next year, when they move to smaller process and bring on the rumored 48/96C "starship" chip. And if that happens, Intel wont be pressed to add more cores either, so i would hazard a guess Cascade Lake-X will be just Skylake-X with Coffee-Lakeish properties - thus clock even better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So anybody have certainty (or 'reasonable' certainty) that 'cascade lake-x' will be compatible with x299? This is literally a make or break point for me... I would already have built a 7820x system if I knew it for sure. Please I don't need any questioning or debate like 'get only for what you know now' etc. I have been over this 100 times.It's the platform I want, but only if there is upgrade path. This is where I am at on this, here I will remain. (even though it's 'traditional' for Intel to make upgrade chips for HEDT, you probably know why I currently have at least some doubt about this). So any evidence of this, from any source, would be very valuable to me at this time, thanks.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
So anybody have certainty (or 'reasonable' certainty) that 'cascade lake-x' will be compatible with x299? This is literally a make or break point for me... I would already have built a 7820x system if I knew it for sure. Please I don't need any questioning or debate like 'get only for what you know now' etc. I have been over this 100 times.It's the platform I want, but only if there is upgrade path. This is where I am at on this, here I will remain. (even though it's 'traditional' for Intel to make upgrade chips for HEDT, you probably know why I currently have at least some doubt about this). So any evidence of this, from any source, would be very valuable to me at this time, thanks.
If recent history tells us anything about Intel, probably not. We have seen less and less support for multiple generations on the same chipset from them. The longterm HEDT option will be AMD. I can pretty much guarantee a new mobo with each CPU series on Intel. Especially the HEDT since they go longer between launches. Usually, if a second chip comes, it's a minor upgrade from the first one on the platform.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think its like 50/50 chance X299 might support even Cascade Lake. After all, you could put Broadwell-E CPU into Haswell-E boards, with BIOS update. Same thing might happen again with Cascade Lake. But with Intel, after what the whole Z270 and Coffee Lake thing, you never know. Maybe they will be in a mood to milk some more and maybe new board/chipset for new CPU generation is the way how things gonna be from now on.

Anyway, why is it that important and why would you want to buy 2 consecutive CPU generations anyway, especially if you mention 7820x, which is technically like second "weakest" in this years line-up? Whatever floats your boat i guess, but i am curious...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think its like 50/50 chance X299 might support even Cascade Lake. After all, you could put Broadwell-E CPU into Haswell-E boards, with BIOS update. Same thing might happen again with Cascade Lake. But with Intel, after what the whole Z270 and Coffee Lake thing, you never know. Maybe they will be in a mood to milk some more and maybe new board/chipset for new CPU generation is the way how things gonna be from now on.

Anyway, why is it that important and why would you want to buy 2 consecutive CPU generations anyway, especially if you mention 7820x, which is technically like second "weakest" in this years line-up? Whatever floats your boat i guess, but i am curious...
thanks, yeah hard to 'make odds' I wouldn't be able to other than 'maybe'. The reason I would buy 2, in the form of a current one then an updated one, is simply because of expectation of upgrade being better on heat/performance. I was just never that thrilled with Skylake in that dept. So I would get Skylake just to have something to use while waiting for better to come. and use the upgrade for longer time (several years in my case). I'm kinda like, "no I don't really want this current cpu (for more than 8 cores), close but no, not really, but if I can drop in better later, then I do want it now". There is value in a known upgrade path, but it seems Intel would rather be 'non-committal' or something. Something like a 'good faith promise' (but not legally binding of course) would be good. I don't see how it could really hurt sales of previous chip. unless new is only a few months away, but by that time it gets out or is announced anyway. But if they just took a stand farther out in time, it would be of benefit to the market, and do a little to restore their tattered brand. x299 was a mess of market offerings as you know, it's not clear what 'they thought they were doing' with the Kaby Lake and the seemingly intentionally disabled lower PCI lanes on lower Skylakes. And yes of course the z370 requirement for coffee lake was a mess. But I suppose we should still think HEDT 'should' be treated 'better' by Intel than mainstream, because it is supposed to be 'premium' in marketing terms as well. But yeah, just can't trust them to 'do the right thing'. They have to come out and say it now.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
You won't see PCIe4 until we have a full platform upgrade. Most likely. That's how it's gone in the past. That said, PCIe4 won't make any real difference for gaming rigs. Only some pretty extreme workstation and server builds will see performance gains. Just like how PCIe2 vs PCIe3 makes little difference even today. Gaming GPU's just do not use the existing bandwidth.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You won't see PCIe4 until we have a full platform upgrade. Most likely. That's how it's gone in the past. That said, PCIe4 won't make any real difference for gaming rigs. Only some pretty extreme workstation and server builds will see performance gains. Just like how PCIe2 vs PCIe3 makes little difference even today. Gaming GPU's just do not use the existing bandwidth.
when do you expect a full platform upgrade?
regarding PCIe 2 vs 3
there are a lot of bench that shows big difference with high end cards from PCIe 2 and PCIe 3.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
There are a lot of benches showing not a lot of difference as well. My point was that right now nothing is limited by PCIe3 in the gaming space. So, just like when PCIe3 first came out you won't be seeing much if anything.

As for when, X399 just came out. HEDT usually sticks around for 2-3 years. Sometimes longer. So, probably at least a year if not longer. Myself, I am looking to jump ship to AMD for HEDT. Similar or better performance in most situations for far less money. And no need to delid your $1000 CPU to get decent thermals.

I am not telling you not to get Intel. You can get whatever floats your boat. I am just ready for a change myself.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are a lot of benches showing not a lot of difference as well. My point was that right now nothing is limited by PCIe3 in the gaming space. So, just like when PCIe3 first came out you won't be seeing much if anything.

As for when, X399 just came out. HEDT usually sticks around for 2-3 years. Sometimes longer. So, probably at least a year if not longer. Myself, I am looking to jump ship to AMD for HEDT. Similar or better performance in most situations for far less money. And no need to delid your $1000 CPU to get decent thermals.

I am not telling you not to get Intel. You can get whatever floats your boat. I am just ready for a change myself.
I appreciate your suggestion.
I hope that newer Threadripper will have good gaming perf. It would be really cool to have a HEDT platform with good gaming performance.
I'm pretty tired about intel and their policy, their CPUs are simply incredible.

It's incredible that there are someone in 2018 that buys a CPU that cost up to 600€ and have 28 lanes.
A HEDT platform, 600€ for 28 lanes.

I hope that AMD will kick their ass so hard that they will stop acting like a bully.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts