Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I plan to move from my pair of 5770, to 2x 5870 what kind of power supply i need? Let say i switch to i7 too...

I am looking for something that will do that but not too overpowered... like I dont want to throw my money around.

This is all hypothetical just doing some researching around for a friend.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Dont take my word for it but I've read that 5870s can be run on a minimum of 750 (on an overclocked i7 system)

I'm running an 850w corsair... going to be getting my second 5870 sometime later next week. Lets see

·
Registered
335 Posts
dont know intel, does i7 pull much more than a 955? with just 955 u are fine i would say...i ran 2 4850x2 with a similiar PSU, and that is a lot for power consumption... 1k watt is recomended for each 4850x2. and 5870 say that 600 is recommended for a CF

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 System Requirements

Quote:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
Minimum 1GB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive
Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
For an ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

I recommend a nice PSU like the Corsair 750W, but you only really need a 600W minimum. Just make sure you have 4 each 6-pin power connectors.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
A good 750W unit will be totally adequate, yes.

Personally I'd prefer an 850W (as you can see) because it provides more overhead, but ... a good 750W unit is fine. By good, I mean like Corsair, Silverstone, Enermax, Seasonic, Antec True-series, Coolermaster Real Power Pro or Silent Power-series ... that sort of good. Not HEC, Rocketfish, Xion, Coolmax, Raidmax, Ultra (although the X3 series is fine), or Thermaltake TR2-series. OCZ would be borderline, probably fine.

Two 5870's and an i7, all overclocked, you're looking at using *maybe* 600W if you ran like Super PI and Furmark at the same time. Realistically, you'd probably almost never actually use > about 525W.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Im running a pair of 280's in sli, with a 750 watt psu. But if you want wriggle room, id say between 850 to around 950 for long term investment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts