Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm wondering if there is a way I could split the signal from a USB device into 2? (Something like a keyboard, Microphone, Mouse, ect into 2 Signals for 2 different computers)

I don't think there are any spliters for USB Female to 2X USB Male
(Something to do with signals going between systems ans causing conflicts)

I was wondering if there is any other way to split the signal?

(KVM switch won't work. I need the signal going to 2 things at the same time)

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
868 Posts
I can't see past the numerous amount of conflicts that would cause even if there was suitable hardware. Whats the goal, what are you trying to achieve? There may be an alternative..

OK, on reading again it appears to be an audio signal you are trying to work with. One PC could take the actual USB connection while the second takes and analog audio out from the 1st PC into the 2nd PC mic input.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillskill View Post

I can't see past the numerous amount of conflicts that would cause even if there was suitable hardware. Whats the goal, what are you trying to achieve? There may be an alternative..
OK, on reading again it appears to be an audio signal you are trying to work with. One PC could take the actual USB connection while the second takes and analog audio out from the 1st PC into the 2nd PC mic input.
Thanks,
I assume I could use a 3.5mm to USB converter for that bit just fine then? The end connection of each system needs to be USB.

It's a PC to PS3. Will the PS3 will be able to accept the signal as a microphone from the PC Headphone 3.5mm port through a 3.5mm to USB converter?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ_MAN_432 View Post

Thanks,
I assume I could use a 3.5mm to USB converter for that bit just fine then? The end connection of each system needs to be USB.
It's a PC to PS3. Will the PS3 will be able to accept the signal as a microphone from the PC Headphone 3.5mm port through a 3.5mm to USB converter?
I believe Turtle Bay used to make/sell a USB adaptor with both Mic & audio inputs so you could use X1 headphones with the PS3. That should work. If you go into more detail on what you what you want achieve then I may have more suggestions.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

connect it to a hub backwards?
I don't think that will work.

Any comments on this?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ_MAN_432 View Post

Thanks,
EDIT:
Quote:

If you go into more detail on what you what you want achieve then I may have more suggestions.
What I'm aiming for is, (Basically) Microphone to PC & PS3 at same time, both receiving the audio from A USB microphone.

With your idea it's: Microphone to PC - PC (from 3.5mm Headphone) to 3.5mm to USB Converter - USB Converter to PS3 (Because PS3 has no 3.5mm port. Not compleatly sure if the converter bit will work as I cant find any 3.5mm Female to USB 2.0 Male converters)

·
Registered
868 Posts
OK, I think this would be far better going the other way. Your output could come from the PS3's analog output and go into your PC. This would be desirable if its all the game audio you want to record. If its just voice then you would probably be better going the other way.
Are you recording gameplay and recording commentary at the same time? If its live commentary you want to record I would personally aim to record that to a seperate device and then sync the voice track to the gameplay after.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
I think you should consider an analogue mic (3.5mm jack), you can split it and send it to PC and USB converter device (if you find one). If you route the mic through the PC to the headphone out it will be mixed with the PC's sound and you'll only be able to hear the PC on the PS3 (unless your PC has 2 sound devices and software that can utilize them) and it will be the same the other way. You may still have a problem with signal strength though.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post

I think you should consider an analogue mic (3.5mm jack), you can split it and send it to PC and USB converter device (if you find one). If you route the mic through the PC to the headphone out it will be mixed with the PC's sound and you'll only be able to hear the PC on the PS3 (unless your PC has 2 sound devices and software that can utilize them) and it will be the same the other way. You may still have a problem with signal strength though.
I'm not going with an analogue mic, It must be USB.
I can set the mic to play in real time what the microphone picks up. Everything else would be muted on the PC so no audio from the PC would be heard.
Quote:

OK, I think this would be far better going the other way. Your output could come from the PS3's analog output and go into your PC. This would be desirable if its all the game audio you want to record. If its just voice then you would probably be better going the other way.
Are you recording gameplay and recording commentary at the same time? If its live commentary you want to record I would personally aim to record that to a seperate device and then sync the voice track to the gameplay after.
I've already got a way to record sound from the PS3

I need the microphone to be used for multiplayer chat through the PS3 at the same time recording voice on the PC.

I'm recording mic audio on PC separately in the first place. Then I sync it with the video.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Bluetooth headset would be simplest. So two mics in total.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Bluetooth headset would be simplest. So two mics in total.
I originally used a Bluetooth mic but it was too quiet. I had the volume at max and there was nowhere to put it apart from holding it right in front of my mouth all the time or else I couldn't be heard.

·
AKA StubbornGreek
3,813 Posts
Maybe consider as small cardioid usb mic like the Samson Go Mic (B&H for about 32 bucks - I use one myself and it is pretty awesome, btw, its a cardioid and omni mic both, just select with a switch). Connect the mic via usb to your pc. On the side of the mic is a headphone jack (for monitoring the sound going into the mic, plug this headphone jack into the PS3 with an analogue plug and call it a day, I believe.

FYI, I haven't personally tried this setup but I don't see how it wouldn't work. GL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts