Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Isopropyl Alcohol 90% or higher will work the best. You can buy solutions to take the stuff off, but if you have alcohol, they're just a waste of money. If you want, you try running a tissue or static free cloth over the thermal compound and normally most of it comes off. Even then, you should still clean it with alcohol.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bk7794
View Post

okay. Can i just use a paper towel to take the thermal compound off

Like I said, you should still use alcohol if you use a plain tissue, cloth, or paper towel. Even if you can't see it, residue is left behind that will create less than ideal temperatures. You want to make sure your chip is completely clean.

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
I used a dry paper towel to wipe off as much as I could carefully, make sure not to ruin the back of the cpu, then I dabbed a little alcohol on the paper towel, and wiped, it came of clean, made sure it was all clean and it looked like new.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bk7794 View Post
okay thanks alot. Sorry for not using a question mark. kinda in a rush. you know. How much pressure can I put down?
Try not too push down too hard. The pins underneath are delicate. Then again, if you don't put any pressure at all, you won't clean it. If you feel like your pushing the CPU down, that's bad. Just put enough pressure so that the cloth you are using is pressing flat against the chip.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sav5716 View Post
Try not too push down too hard. The pins underneath are delicate. Then again, if you don't put any pressure at all, you won't clean it. If you feel like your pushing the CPU down, that's bad. Just put enough pressure so that the cloth you are using is pressing flat against the chip.
okay thanks alot

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
scrape it off?? still will leave some!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
i used some electronic cleaning wipes, it worked pretty good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts