Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about selling my current processor and motherboard to put towards a new upgrades for both.

Right now I have an i7 950 and a Foxconn FlamingBlade mobo.

What about the 3770k? I can get one for $230 at MicroCenter. Would that be a good upgrade from the i7 950?

also I was looking at this mobo

MSI Z77A-GD65

and this ram

Corsair Vengeance 16GB

What do you guys think? If you have any recommendations, please post
smile.gif

I would like to stay under $130 for the ram and $170 for the mobo

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
Gaming?? No need for 16GB of ram.
upgrade. i don't have much experience with your cpu but if it will not bottleneck a 7970. get that. and keep the cpu for now. maybe your next jump is a haswell

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do a lot of gaming. I have an HD6950 unlocked to 6970, I may purchase another HD6950 to add to rig. I was under the assumption that haswell would mostly be used laptops and computers without dedicated graphics. correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else? I have asked a few people and they liked what I picked but I was more suggestions

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
Current Intel CPU has IGP and the haswell is supposed to have just better IGP. if you will use this build for gaming 16GB ram is an overkill.
I'd say stick to your current cpu an get a nice cooler. OC the CPU. and get a better graphics card. a 7950 or a 7970

Haswell will have about only 10% better performance from the current gen cpus. so I say you wait to see it real time as it will require a new motherboard as the socket is different. with your build i would go for a better graphics card and a ram.

·
Bite my shiny metal GPU!
4,037 Posts
16GB is overkill for RAM. However if you must have that much, it's better to go w/ 2 sticks of 8GB instead of 4 sticks of 4GB. The 2x8 GB version of the Vengenace kit you picked is CML16GX3M2A1600C9.

As for the motherboard, the not a bad choice. The only major problem with the MSI Z77 boards is that you can't overclock them via offsetting voltage. You might want to look into the Gigabyte Z77X models if that's a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts