Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the time finally comes when ddr4 is available, what benefits would you need to see in order to change your motherboard thus having to reinstall your os and perhaps change your CPU in the process?

·
Registered
743 Posts
A whole new generation build is whats going to force me to upgrade to DDR4. DDR3 brought a age of fast enough in regards to ram. I don't see DDR4 bringing any real world earth shattering performance increases.

If I ever build a HTPC with a APU that be a different story. Ram speeds matter a lot there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'am still living on DDR2. I'd say it's underated. Paying BF4 like beast
cool.gif

To answer topic question, maybe some great atom platform could make me move.

Memory wise P/P DDR=2x512MB, DDR2 2x2GB DDR3 is 2x4 DDR4 2x8

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking that if/when my pc craps out, and if ddr4 is the same price as ddr3 is now, then MAYBE I will get it but I will need to get a good deal on a motherboard that is compatible with am3+

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd want to see real in game frame rate increases vs DDR 3. I saw an article (just don't remember where) that did benchmarks while only making RAM changes. The benefits of faster DDR 3 timing or overclocking memory were negligible as far as frame rates. Might be fun, but not much more...

·
New to Overclock.net
2,492 Posts
Two ways to interpret those articles:

1. The usual "conclusion" is flawed in the sense that they compare increase in performance with increase in RAM cost. In recent months I have seen 2133 and 1866 at same prices as 1600 so those are a "no brainer". But the argument usually goes that you only see a 2-3% increase in frame rates for the 10% increase in cost to 2400. I don't understand this logic......it's your whole system that goes faster. So that 2400 RAM's performance should be weighted against the system cost so the 2-3% performance increase should be associated with the 1% increase in cost.

2. Unfortunately most reviewers don't look at minimum frame rates and some games (STALKER is one that comes to mind) have shown as much as a 10% increase in minimum frame rates with faster memory. And what bothers ya more ? ..... whether ya average frame rate goes from 53 or 55 or whether ya minimum frame rate foes from 29 to 32 ?

Still not a huge impact, or when it is, it's not that big that often so no great shakes either way. But if you are making the decision on a cost basis, making an "apples and apples" comparison (increase in system cost versus increase in system performance as a change in minimum frame rates) should be considered.

As far as DDR4 goes.....look at how DDR3 went ..... DDR2 1600 => DDR3 1600 is how things went 1st ..... now we see DDR3-2133 often at same price as 1600. As far as upgrading goes, when the new platform supporting it hits, obviously that's the way we will go, but I don't expect any significant impacts until the production lines mature and we start see the faster stuff at reasonable costs.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thready View Post

When the time finally comes when ddr4 is available, what benefits would you need to see in order to change your motherboard thus having to reinstall your os and perhaps change your CPU in the process?
is this true? if u change ur mobo u have to reinstall OS? (meaning you have to reinstall gpu drivers? and mobo drivers are obv)

i thought its only if you change your harddrive.

·
New to Overclock.net
2,492 Posts
Your HD has no drivers, therefore a HD change requires only that you restore the OS you had.

Your MoBo came with a driver disk which included say 10 or so drivers...... Chipset, SATA, USN, BT ..... yad yada yada....

So you change your MoBo and your system is immediately confused.....

1 - The OS wants to load all the drivers from your old MoBo but it can't find any of that hardware.

2 -The OS can't find all the drivers it needs for your new because they are not installed in your old OSMoBo but it can't find any of that hardware.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greydor View Post

What would FORCE me to get DDR4?

Darth Vader. He uses the force.

You, sir, just won the thread!

LOL
Seriously though, it will be a while before I go through that expense. Sitting on a 4930k with 32gb of DDR3. I don't foresee me messing with it for quite some time.
Going DDR4 means a whole new platform, which is essentially a rebuild. I don't think you will see any current chips able to use DDR4. Not the current 2011 or AM3+. The only socket that I think even has a chance at using DDR4 with just a MB upgrade is the 1150 socket CPU's, but I doubt that. I don't remember hearing anything about Haswell possessing a DDR4 controller. Maybe the refresh coming will make that change...

For those of you thinking that the 2011 will because of Haswell-e, remember that is 2011-3 socket. It has a different pin configuration. The current chips are not compatible with those boards.

·
Registered
141 Posts
JackNaylorPE,

Yep, good points.

$ per percent FR increase is also helpful to use to compare each type of performance upgrade...meaning GPU vs CPU vs RAM etc.

So, "which upgrade gives me biggest bang for my buck?"

Clearly YMMV based on current state of the system component wise.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thx greydor!

I needed that
wink.gif

Thx for keepin' us from taking ourselves too serious!

+1 rep

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greydor View Post

What would FORCE me to get DDR4?

Darth Vader. He uses the force.

Congrats, you win the Internet!

Just the laugh I needed right now!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeleronS View Post

I'am still living on DDR2. I'd say it's underated. Paying BF4 like beast
cool.gif

To answer topic question, maybe some great atom platform could make me move.

Memory wise P/P DDR=2x512MB, DDR2 2x2GB DDR3 is 2x4 DDR4 2x8
QFT
biggrin.gif

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Force? Nothing. I'll willingly buy DDR4 for my next computer. Why would I build a new computer with outdated memory (and thus outdated cpu and mobo)?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I guess once an amd CPU drops that supports DDR4. Faster RAM doesn't exactly make me have to clean the drool from my keyboard.

• Rep+
Reactions: Thready

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 View Post

I guess once an amd CPU drops that supports DDR4. Faster RAM doesn't exactly make me have to clean the drool from my keyboard.
Well... then you just be Mr. Buzzkill while the rest of us spend $500 on new components that make our PCs like... at least 6% faster in certain RAM heavy applications...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts